• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

wont start

NW_93Sport

NAXJA Forum User
Well I put a new fuel pump in my rig cuz it went out on me while wheelin at browns.
Now i have ran into a new problem, jeep wont start. All it is doing is cranking.
I am not getting any spark and the fuel pump is not turning on when key is in the on position. It has new plugs, wires, cap, rotor, and fuel pump.
I am not getting any of the initial warning cluster lights either. I have dash lights and the radio turns on, but nothing else.

Does this sound like a bad ECU? I have checked all underhood fuses

Another thing for crank won't start--no spark/no fuel pump prime is the ASD or B Latch relay.

Always best to state year/engine/etc. for the best answers.

Try swapping your relays around.

Another thing for crank won't start--no spark/no fuel pump prime is the ASD or B Latch relay.

Always best to state year/engine/etc. for the best answers.

Try swapping your relays around.

93 cherokee sport 4.0 auto

I have switched my relays around.
I jumped my fuel pump and it works fine. The only other thing that i can think of is the Coil pack which i have a new MSD coil coming and it will be in a 11.
It has a new CPS that i installed friday of last week.
I am slowly eliminating things. I think. :dunno:

Well, if you are sure the fuel pump is not getting its 3-second prime when you first turn the key to ON, and NO spark, then you need to start testing at the ASD relay in the PDC as it supplies the 12 volt feed to the coil and provides power to the fuel pump for the 3-second prime. Not absolutely sure on the 93, but I believe the PCM controls the ground to the relay and when that circuit is open there is no 3-second prime.

Well, if you are sure the fuel pump is not getting its 3-second prime when you first turn the key to ON, and NO spark, then you need to start testing at the ASD relay in the PDC as it supplies the 12 volt feed to the coil and provides power to the fuel pump for the 3-second prime. Not absolutely sure on the 93, but I believe the PCM controls the ground to the relay and when that circuit is open there is no 3-second prime.

ASD= auto shut down?

PDC= fuse block under hood?

Installed the new coil and i still got nothing.

Last edited:
ASD = Auto Shut Down (Renix called B Latch).

PDC = Power Distribution Center, under the hood passenger's side (Renix it was a lug on the starter relay).

I switched out the relays and fuses, nothing was bad, still had no spark/no fuel. no initial warning lights on cluster.

Took the PCM out of my friends 93 ZJ (4.0/aw4) and everything power wise worked, we had initial lights on cluster, we had fuel pump priming, so we started it. it fired after 2 revolutions and died 1-2 seconds later (sounds like an auto shutdown issue?)

We went to pick-n-pull, grabbed a PCM from a 91 4.0HO, same issue as ZJ PCM, starts and dies 2 seconds later.

I'm thinkin:
A: PCM does not match exact specs (that possible?)
B: wiring between PCM and PDC.

Thoughts?

A. Could be.

B. More likely.

I finally got my rig to work. I just went and bought a new ECM and put it in and it started right up wit no problems and ran.

The only problem that i see now is my Water pump is going out which i am going to pick up a new on today and then my fuel gauge is not working right.
I have over 1/2 a tank of fuel,, but my gauge is reading that i am almost empty and my light is on.
What could be the problem wit that?

Buy a NEW WP, not a reman.

Could be a float that is full of fuel.

Back