• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

driveline Ujoint

macrat123

NAXJA Forum User
Hi everyone,

yet another question about my 99 xj with 140k miles.

I have never replaced my front driveline u joints and i was wondering if i should with 140k miles on the jeep. I asked a mechanic friend of mine and he said no since it is only used when 4wd is engaged. I use 4wd about 1 week each year due to snow.

While replacing the front ujoints, is there something i should replace since i would already have the drive shaft removed, as preventative maintenance?

Also, what ujoints do you recommend for my jeep? Spicer 1310 (5 total, 3 front and 2 back)? I'd like to have one where it isn't greasable.

Thanks for helping me out.

If you're gonna be replacing every u-joint in the driveshaft, i would go ahead and replace the centering ball.....its a $32 part at Advance. If you'll have the joints out it's just a simple extra step....

I wouldn't replace the front driveshaft joints unless they're bad. They can last a very long time. I think both my Jeeps have their original front joints. One is over 260K, and the other is due to turn 250 tomorrow morning. They've outlasted more rear driveshaft and front axle joints than I care to count. Even if they're fairly cheap, why bother if they're still good?

Back