• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Broken hatch and maybe t-case.....

itbrokeagain

NAXJA Forum User
Well first someone tried to break in my rear hach and now it wont open. Feels like the handle is broke. Anyone know how to open a hatch with a broken handle?

Second, I think the full time option in my T-case quit. It feels like its in, you can feel it through the steering wheel, but when it gets in a situation, like snow, when the front is needed there is no power to the front. Make sense?

Part time 4wd seems to be working fine.

98 Xj auto 242

1: You can open it if you can remove the panel from inside. It's pretty clear then what you need to do. The handle and latch assembly is oddly designed, easy to damage and subject to wear, but there's an adjustable rod you might be able to readjust to get it to work again.

2. Part time on this rig uses a center differential. It's at least theoretically possible for the system to send power to only one wheel. If that wheel happens to be one of the rears, then you are right back to 2WD.

Not sure about a 98, but on 96 down, you can remove the interior trim and look for a small square lever/tab sticking up from the latch mechanism. Push it one direction or another and the hatch should magically pop open.

2. Part time on this rig uses a center differential. It's at least theoretically possible for the system to send power to only one wheel. If that wheel happens to be one of the rears, then you are right back to 2WD.

Ummmm..... don't you mean "Full time on this rig..."? Part time should lock the front & rear driveshafts together. Full time in a 242 uses a viscous center diff.

Not sure about a 98, but on 96 down, you can remove the interior trim and look for a small square lever/tab sticking up from the latch mechanism. Push it one direction or another and the hatch should magically pop open.
I was thinking that but it looks to me the screws are on the underside where you cant get to them.....
I also havent looked that hard.

Last edited:
I was thinking that but it looks to me the screws are on the underside where you cant get to them.....
I also havent looked that hard.

Cut a good sized hole(4"x6" or so) in the hatch panel with a dremel and you can get your hand in there and unlock it. Or you can remove the bolts that hole the latch and pull the hatch open. Never tried either since i gut lucky and got my stuck hatch open by pulling on the handle while hitting the right side of the handle. I hit directly where the lock is with my fist and it popped right open.

.... Full time in a 242 uses a viscous center diff.

XJ 242 uses a differential, the Grand 242's use the viscous clutch.

To the OP, don't cut into anything , the bolts that hold the latch to the cargo floor are accessible from underneath. A skid plate or tow hitch may make access more difficult.

Back