• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Windows fall into the doors '97 Cherokee Sport

Moparkansas

NAXJA Forum User
I recently purchased a 1997 Cherokee for my son. The trans was out and we have been taking care of that as well as a few other little gremlins. For starters we found a 1994 trans with about 10k miles on it that we put in. We have driven around the block a couple of times and are going to take it out for a little longer voyage tonight. Seems to shift OK so far, but we haven't gone over 35.

Our next project is the windows which seem to like to be open all of the time. From what I have found on the internet, there is a repair kit:

http://www.steigerperformance.com/products/sp12001.html

or it looks like you can get complete regulators for just a few bucks more.

http://www.partstrain.com/ShopByDepartment/Window_Regulator/JEEP

My question is which is the best option for this repair? Any experiences out there?

Thanks to all and thanks to the board owner!

A new regulator would be more reliable and much easier to install, but the price difference is a few bucks more than a few bucks more... Based upon your links, the repair kit is $40 while the regulators are $150 or $190 depending on which side you need.

If you want a really cheap option, include "cotter pin" in your search for window regulator repairs. Basically the same idea as the Steiger repair kit, just not nearly as fancy. I myself bought a used OEM regulator from ebay for pretty cheap.

Searched around the site and picked this discussion to reply to because the subject best describes the problem. Didn't want to confuse people with a wrong repair for their issue.
My window was falling down inside the door. Motor would keep running but the window wasn't moving. Searched the site and found the Steigerperformance.com link. $40 and it was worth it. Funny part is that the parts kit doesn't look like it's worth $10 but the end performance of the window is worth $100!
Here's the breakdown on the kit. You get a bracket, two bolt/washer/nut combos & the directions (directions may be the best part of the kit). This guy really did a great job on the directions. They're written more like the guy is standing in the garage with you giving suggestions to make the fix go easier. I'm not much of a tech guy, but this went pretty easy for me. Recommend the Steiger fix if the window falling down is your problem.

I tried the cotter pin fix, It worked ok. I had a hard time getting them around the worm cable and running up and down the track freely, but it works. Next one that goes, Im just gonna order the Steiger fix.

Don't waste money on a used regulator..it will break again
The Steiger kit has good instructions, works well and with great customer service
The Dealer would have cost me close to $500 for the fix and I spent less than $35

GoJeep/Howto/BiXenonProjectors

Last edited:
Searched the site and found the Steigerperformance.com link. $40 and it was worth it. Funny part is that the parts kit doesn't look like it's worth $10 but the end performance of the window is worth $100!

Funny you say that. I'm sure the kit doesn't cost more than a couple dollars to put together and they used to be in the $20 range. The price of the kit has gone up over the years but seems to have stopped at $40. Guess he found that to be the balance between profitability and sales volume.

Don't waste money on a used regulator..it will break again

I went with the used regulator only because I damaged the track on my original one while developing my own fix. I wasn't aware of the Steiger kit at the time and fixed mine by drilling small holes in the window bracket and threading safety wire through it and around the worm drive. Worked great, but I made the mistake of prying the worm drive out of the track instead of drilling out the rivet at the end of the track and feeding it out that way. The area where I pried it remained a rough spot and would eventually cut through the safety wire. After about the 5th time rewiring it (I cut my time for the entire operation down to about 30 minutes) I decided it was time to just buy another regulator. If/when it breaks again I will most likely get the Steiger kit.

Also, I haven't verified it with my own eyes, but I've heard that Jeep finally recognized the problem and upgraded the regulators in the '00 & '01 model years by replacing the flimsy plastic piece with a metal bracket. If you can find a used regulator from an '00 or '01 it may be worth looking into.

Yeah, I did the Steiger fix on my wifes Cherokee. It's our nicer one so the power window are "normal". When mine go bad in my 98' 4 door, I'm thinking of going old school and replacing with a hand crank. Steiger fix is great if you want the power window. But my Jeep has become a "beater". Kinda feel the hand crank would fit the mood.
Anyone ever swap a power set up for a hand crank? Any advice?

Back