• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Where do they come from?

wrecked

NAXJA Forum User
I'm in the planning/collecting parts stages of building up my '90 2dr XJ. I've got my suspension figured out for the most part and right now I'm hung up on the axles.

I plan on running 38" SX's, but I want an axle that I can beat on. I do have a really light foot and try to finesse my way through all my lines, but I would like to have the security of knowing my rig is solid.

I'm pretty set on running a set of 1-ton D60's front and rear with CTM's and Alloy Shafts(seem to be the best bet for shafts), probably Yukon gears in th 5.38 range.

Now my question is, what rig should I be looking for to pull them out of? I want to run leafs front and rear so I'll need an axle with a bit of tube on the driverside for this setup. I also need drivers drop. Not sure if its possible but highpinion would be nice. Stock disc brakes would be cool as well. Fullwidth works, closer to stock is better.

I've read about the 79 F350 having axles that may be what I'm looking for, but I'm not sure. I'm also not sure that D60's are my answer.

Any suggestions?

-Kevin

I did search, didnt quite find what I was looking for.

Dont build a Dana 44. Go stright for the 60. I wheeled with a friend who had 38sx's and every other trip out something would go boom in the front end. A ford high pinion dana 60 with king pins will be pretty much bullet proof on 38s unless you really really wail on it.

AARON

MrShoeBoy said:
Dont build a Dana 44. Go stright for the 60. I wheeled with a friend who had 38sx's and every other trip out something would go boom in the front end. A ford high pinion dana 60 with king pins will be pretty much bullet proof on 38s unless you really really wail on it.

AARON

I was originally planning on going Waggy 44's with CTM's and Alloys. I know I could get by on them, but down the road, I don't want to have to upgrade my axles if my rig grows. I used to run 37's on a ford 44/9 combo and it worked.

Any suggestions as to what rig to get my axles out of?

-Kevin

Beuler? Beuler? Beuler?
From what I've found the F350 '79 axles will be the 60's I'm looking for correct? Any other rigs that are good canidates for my axles?

-Kevin

Late '70's ford 1-ton 60 for the front is the way to go. For the rear however i would suggest a 14 bolt. Beefier than a built 60 right out of the box. Gear 'em both 5.13's, with whatever lockers you want and you'll be able to run 38's with junkyard axle shafts all around.

14 bolt has been floating in my mind. I wouldnt mind getting a 14b for the rear. I dont like that amount of ground clearance I'll be losing, but I guess I'll be ok.

How can you tell whether or not they are full float?

As far as the lug pattern goes, any chance theres a 14b rear that matches the ford 60 front?

-Kevin

Back