• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Need Some Help PLEASE!!!

zion14

NAXJA Forum User
I lost my key to my 92 xj today. Does anyone know where I can get another one? It is the only key I got when I bought it and I need one ASAP. Please let me know. Thanks.

Yeah I thought about that. I am sure it will be real expensive through a locksmith. I hope a Dealer can cut a key based on the VIN.

"92 is probably pre-chip. I locked myself out a few years ago and got a locksmith to come out and file a key for my '79 mustang. He had an aluminum key blank and worked it in and filed it for well under $50. Just wanted to see my registration first.

I will give a locksmith a call tomorrow. I am going to try the dealer as well cause it looks like a pre-chip key. I work at a dealership that has Volvo and they can cut keys there as long as they do not have a transponder in them. Thanks for the ideas though guys I do appreciate it.

Had to get a new key for my Dak a while back. It was like $9 and 5 minutes from the dealer. Bring them your VIN and proof of registration (and D.L. of course).

92 is pre chip as I used to carry the spare in my wallet with the plastic part cut off.

92 may or may not be in their records still, forget if it's year limited or just company limited (i.e. they don't have records for the AMC years.)

Once you get a new one cut, cut two more copies. Leave the new original at home, carry one of the copies, put the other copy in your wallet. Home Depot has blanks both with and without a rubber grip, I keep a plain metal one in my wallet since they're thinner.

I called the dealer this morning and they cut me 2 keys for $15 for both. Thanks again for the help guys. Good to know if someone should ever lose keys again.

"chip" being the Sentry Key system I believe, also known as Vehicle Immobilizer.

Back