• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

upgrading to long arms i need opinions

devilstoy

NAXJA Forum User
im looking into the rustys long arm set up , i really like this one and trying to get some opinons , people on other forums seem to hate rustys , but i had nothing but good experiances with there products , whats evryones opinion on this set up ? my choices are between that and the tnt customs one , but i seem to be leaning towards rustys , it just seems like a nicer set up to me

I'm not a big fan of Rusty's either. I've helped install a couple of their short arm kits and I wasn't impressed.

For a long arm set up I'd go with TNT's Y-link (this is what I run), RE, or I've heard good stuff about Claytons too but I have no experence with them.

Just my .02

i dont mean to hyjack this thread but has any one used the rock krawler long arm kit? i was looking around at long arm kits and most of them use a long radius arm style while the rock krawler kit uses a long arm 3 link system.
http://www.rockkrawler.com/pages/catalog/index.php?r_itemID=3

i did some searching and most people who use the newer stuff seem to like it.

i wudnt use that one in particular cause it uses blocks and an add a leaf go with full 4.5 in pacs and sum shackles and itd probly be great

I don't see anything about Rough countrys new LA kit. I wouldn't mind going that route. Looks like a decent kit!

And if you think the rustys setup looks nicer look at the TNT's belly pan. I had a buddy that had the rustys Long arms, he went with Claytons and LOVES his new kit.
Just my .02

OP, I've had the Rusty's long arm kit for going on three years now and don't think i could be happier (got another friend who's had his for a bit longer and he loves it too). I've had nothing but awesome experiences with Rusty's products and customer service. I honestly have no idea what every one has it out for him and his products.

I've heard that the TnT y-link kit can some times bind up and then unload quite violently making the whole front end jump... That would be my only concern. But i do agree that the TnT belly pan is better, where as Rusty's kit is just a cross member leaving it up to you to get a t-case skid. The rough country kit looks pretty nice but is pretty new so there isn't much experience or knowledge about the kit.

Over all though, i honestly think that for the money a good long arm set up is one of the best things you can do to your jeep. On and off road, the long arms will ride much better, give WAY more flex, and improve your vehicle's capabilities.

Good luck with your shopping!

I've heard that the TnT y-link kit can some times bind up and then unload quite violently making the whole front end jump... That would be my only concern. But i do agree that the TnT belly pan is better, where as Rusty's kit is just a cross member leaving it up to you to get a t-case skid. The rough country kit looks pretty nice but is pretty new so there isn't much experience or knowledge about the kit.
!

I've been looking into long arms as well to upgrade my current setup, and I have heard about this "unloading" but what exactly is it?

Sorry to thread jack.

I've been looking into long arms as well to upgrade my current setup, and I have heard about this "unloading" but what exactly is it?

Sorry to thread jack.

Some how the suspension gets in a bind and it can unload all the force into the suspension. There was a video on here of it happening to someone doing a climb and it made the front of his jeep jump like 3 feet or something to one side... It was a while ago and i can't seem to find the video... And it might not have been 3 feet, but it was clearly visible in the video. hahaha other than that i can't tell you the technical physics of it or anything, but it seems to only happen to the TnT set up. But it's still got to be a pretty good kit because it's thought pretty highly of here on NAXJA. But i have no hands on experience with the kit so don't take my word as the law. :p

I just helped install a rough country long arm kit and was very impressed with it, especially considering it's price. Very beefy, oversized crossmember and included 3/16" tranfer case skid as well. The ride was also great. I'm saving up for the long arm uprade myself now. :)

I've been running Rusty's long arms for 7 years now, I am very happy with them and the front springs. The rear leaf springs were terrible and I eventually replaced them with some Big Offroad leaf springs. If its a long arm upgrade go for it. If its a long arm lift kit (including the rears) I would say no. But who knows, maybe Rusty has made improvements to the rear design since I bought mine. Everything else I have ever bought from Rusty has worked fine.

OP, I've had the Rusty's long arm kit for going on three years now and don't think i could be happier (got another friend who's had his for a bit longer and he loves it too). I've had nothing but awesome experiences with Rusty's products and customer service. I honestly have no idea what every one has it out for him and his products.

Over all though, i honestly think that for the money a good long arm set up is one of the best things you can do to your jeep. On and off road, the long arms will ride much better, give WAY more flex, and improve your vehicle's capabilities.

Well the Rusty's kit would "unload" just like any other Radius arm set-up.

To the OP,look at other kits,there are alot out there!

i'm not a fan of rustys because i have seen just as many failures of his products as I have stock parts, mostly trackbars and steering. not to mention his leaf spring bushings generally last 8-12 months for most people.

The "unloading" occurs in all radius arm or "y link" suspension setups, rustys included

I'm looking at LA upgrade myself.
I'm leaning heavy toward Clayton.
Mainly because the crossmember can be removed with out unbolting the arms and it's a 4 link.
I do not trust a three link because of to much stress on only 2 upper joints and if the upper joint fails on the trail then what?

About rustys-more bad than good.

I'm looking at LA upgrade myself.
I'm leaning heavy toward Clayton.
Mainly because the crossmember can be removed with out unbolting the arms and it's a 4 link.
I do not trust a three link because of to much stress on only 2 upper joints and if the upper joint fails on the trail then what?

About rustys-more bad than good.

clayton is a radius arm

Rusty's gets their leafs made from the same place as RE. WTF is everyone hating on Rusty's springs when they think anything RE makes is pure gold?! I've had my Rusty's springs for over 8 years and have never had to replace any bushings or springs. And everyone says they've seen more bad than good, I'd like to see exactly what they're talking about because me and four of my friends are running his stuff and we've never had ANY problems with his products. Three of us have his long arms, for a combined total of like 10 years between us, have yet to find the weakest link.

clayton is a radius arm

I did't say it wasn't a radius arm.
I was just giving my opinion on long arm setups.
Unless you do not think a radius arm setup is a long arm.
If so then I'm sorry about my technical igornance.

Back