• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

eletrical issue

XJeeper87

NAXJA Forum User
I have a sudden issue. Out of the blue when the jeep is running it is charging lower around 12V on the dash gauge instead of around 14V on dash gauge. Also when the engine is running I get feedback from the engine threw my speakers like a whining noise and the more RPM's the louder it gets. All of this happened out of the blue. Any ideas?? Also another problem that seem eletrical that COULD be related is the jeep likes to not run right until it sits at 2,500RPM for about 5 seconds. if I dont rev it to 2.5Krpm it wil pop backfire and not wanna rev untill it reaches that RPM range and sits there for a few seconds

You probably have a grounding issue - make sure the ground strap from the rear most driver side head bolt to the firewall is still intact, or preferably, remove it, clean the firewall and head till shiny, then replace with a 4awg or larger ground cable. I'm assuming it's the 87 in your username - have you made sure you have a ground line from the battery negative to the fender as well?

You probably have a grounding issue - make sure the ground strap from the rear most driver side head bolt to the firewall is still intact, or preferably, remove it, clean the firewall and head till shiny, then replace with a 4awg or larger ground cable. I'm assuming it's the 87 in your username - have you made sure you have a ground line from the battery negative to the fender as well?

All very likely, and could also be a failing alternator--low voltage, whine, and too little output under 2500 rpm.

Grab a voltmeter, engine off, measure the battery's static voltage between the terminals. Should be about 12.5 volts.

Start engine, at idle, measure the voltage again. Should be about 13.6~14.5 volts.

Run engine up to 2500 rpm. Measure volts.

Post back your results.

As Kastein said, Renix are a "B" about good grounds.

Here is a good link to a Renix (mostly) charging system article:

http://www.olypen.com/craigh/charge.htm

Well the popping and sputtering were here BEFORE the whining

Just like the flu, not all symptoms present at the same moment.

If it is the alternator there will be other symptoms that present themselves--dead or cooked battery, seized bearings and thrown or destroyed belt, sometimes even some really cool flames.

Had kind of an expert take a look with his snapon scanner The .o2 sensor is shot but thats all that read bad and he siad whining is cus the coil dont have some sort of filter on it???

Grab a voltmeter, engine off, measure the battery's static voltage between the terminals. Should be about 12.5 volts.

Start engine, at idle, measure the voltage again. Should be about 13.6~14.5 volts.

Run engine up to 2500 rpm. Measure volts.

Post back your results.

As Kastein said, Renix are a "B" about good grounds.

Good advice above. Freshen grounds, test alternator output. Basics first. Test your way to a solution.

Back