• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

So what went wrong? Tcase pics inside!

imprezkid

NAXJA Forum User
So obviously the t-case wasn't functioning, i just bought the jeep it was this way when i bought it, the chain is WAY to loose, what happen and whats the fix?
02-20-10_1841.jpg

Cant tell much from that pic since there is no bearing to support the chain.Any rub marks in the housing?

the chain wasn't even on the front shaft gear when i took it apart, just spinning around shaft. It didn't have anything in it, when i took it apart some nasty brown looking stuff came out.

I have another question, so the transfer case i put in last night is a 231j out of a like 99 cherokee, it doesn't have anything past the bearing in the tail housing, WHat am i missing? i went to autozone and the seal they showed was for the old style. So is this something i have to get from chrysler or what, i think im also missing a metal dust shield and a boot, but idk for sure?

Does anyone know the seal number for the year, appearantly its a common problem to find the part number for it, its reference number is 19129 but none of the autoparts stores can find that number, its for the rear of a newer style 231j, goes under the metal dust shield

go to a junk yard and buy a new t case for like 150 bucks lol
X2, they're $100 around here. Keep the old one for spare parts I guess. That thing looks pretty thrashed, with a new chain costing the same as a whole used case (make sure it's in good shape before you buy it) I don't see a reason to spend money rebuilding it.

id do the junkyard way unless i had the money to get a upgraded chjain. i think i read somewere that the dacota one was wider. i may be wrong

231D, aka Dodge case. Chain is a quarter inch wider. And you need more than just the wider chain, you need both sprockets as well.

Based on that picture, I'd suspect either the wrong lubrication, or water contamination. In either case, I think I'd try to find a replacement pump as well.

I replaced it with a 231j out of 99 or something cherokee, just can't find the seal for the rear output shaft, but ordered a 18108 from napa, hopefully right. The t-case cost me a whopping 50 bucks so i think i did pretty good.

Another question for you guys, this time a 92 xj np231 w/3" lift 1" tcase drop. When i put it in 4wd hi or low it gets really loud when im on the gas, but when i let off the noise almost goes completely away, getting kinda worried its gunna go, anyone know what this could be?

Back