• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Noise Doors

Runge91

NAXJA Forum User
So in side all rods in my doors rattle really bad so i took off the door panels to try and fix them thinking they had pins that where worn out or just loose screws. does anyone have some suggestions on how to fix the loose rods?

X2 on that. Also make sure the plastic bushing clips at each end haven't worn out.

Fawesome - bringing this back to the top. New 2-door '96 XJ has the very annoying rattle in both doors when I close them, and I knew there was a solution. At the time, I had a 4-door and didn't need to be bothered by 2d drivers' problems. :p

Jim www.yuccaman.com/jeep

A short piece of 1/2 water pipe insulation works, just cut off a hunk, slip it over the rod and tie it with some zip ties.

If you have rattle in the door, it may not be the rods. I had a 92 with a door that rattled on the driver side. Ended up bein a door panel that broke from slamming the door too hard. There were cracks in the metal around where the handle was attached. I tried to fix it with rivits without much success. The only solution is to weld.

I'll keep that one in mind too, thanks. This definitely seems to be inside - I remembered something about a foam fix but never paid attention to it when I was a 4-door owner.

Thanks for the water pipe insulation idea, gdavis - I have to buy some to insulate a couple pipes at my mom's place and that will work perfectly!

Jim www.yuccaman.com/jeep

On my 91 the rattle was coming from the window regulator. The rivets had came lose. Putting a screw into the center of the rivet fixed it.
I have the same problem. I used a little RTV over the rivets which worked for a while, but they are starting to rattle/squeek again. I may try the screw trick, but I was thinking a little sound deadening material might work just as well.

I would remove the rivet and replace with a bolt and nylock nut instead. I have somewhat of a vendetta with pop rivets though.

The easiest way to remove pop rivets is to use a dremel with a cutting wheel and grind across the head, instead of trying to drill them out (and simply spinning them in their holes)... once you get the head ground down thin enough you can simply pop it off and then push the body of the rivet through the hole with a punch.

Back