• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Door locks

Victor S.

NAXJA Member
Does anyone know the part number for a set to an 87 XJ? My part houses list ones for a 91 and up. They also list them for 84 and down. Nothing for the years in between. The jeep is an 87 4dr., with a 4.0, np231, manual locks. Thanks for the help.

which part? the lock cylender (sp?) or the mechanism that keeps the door shut?

i do know that up to 93 (?) the keys were the same style, one sided pin. in 94 they changed to the two sided. took my cyl and mech out of a 95 and 97 respectively. (for the 89)

on the cyl, had to drill the opening a bit bigger on the lever that holds the bar to the unlock on the mech.

couldnt find a replacement part # either

1991 was the first year of the dual sided key. And the new style lock cylinder should fit in the older doors. I think most of the parts houses sell a kit that comes with 2 doors and the hatch cylinder all keyed alike, it might come with an ignition cylinder too.

From the 87-90 Parts Catalog:

CYLINDER, Door
8350 5067 Black
J812 2874 Bright

CYLINDER, Liftgate
8350 5068 Black
8351 0179 Bright

Maybe someone can look up an exchange number for you.

I will second the idea of pulling the cylinders and having them renewed and re-keyed by a locksmith.

However, updating to a dual sided key cylinder is intriguing.

Thanks for the part numbers but even at the dealership the cross over to the chrysler part. The locks I need are the gm cylinder ones. Next step is going to the locksmith for prices.

Don't buy them from Rock auto they don't fit.
The ones MT Mike linked from team cherokee are right.

Found this out the hard way today =/

OK have done this to both my XJ's. Go buy from the parts store lock cylinders from an early 80's Chevy truck. You have to mod the lever a bit but nothing fancy. You have to shave,sand, grind, whatever your method the arm surface. It is to thick to allow the clip to clip on if you do not do that. Other then that tiny thing they are direct bolt in..

Back