• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

xj hooks

1988 Cherokoo

NAXJA Forum User
took 2 xj hooks of a 89 that seemed to have welded in areas for it.

mine does not, the store wanted $170 for hooks and a metal adapter.

I dont know what to do now.

Will have to bite the bullet and buy the brackets for $45 from quadratech. I will see if the JY XJ had it bolted or bolted & welded, it looked like it was welded but I didnt really look, just happy I got the hooks.

Last edited:
Will have to bite the bullet and buy the brackets for $45 from quadratech. I will see if the JY XJ had it bolted or bolted & welded, it looked like it was welded but I didnt really look, just happy I got the hooks.

You may have to, assuming you can't get the reinforcing plates out of the junkyard XJ. Without them the hooks will bascially tear out of the unibody with the first pull you attempt.

If the donor vehicle had welded-in areas for the hooks, then it was somebody's modification. Standard setup uses brackets that bolt to the front unibody frame rail. Factory brackets include the bumper brackets welded on, but similar aftermarket ones don't, so you reuse your bumper brackets.

Go back and look at the donor vehicle, and bag the brackets if you can, and if they're cheap enough. Be warned, however, that if it's an old one, the bolts can be a bear to get off. The most important bolt, the one that goes through a reinforced frame hole, has a big Torx head (t-60 or 55, can't remember which) which can be very nasty. Bring big tools, penetrants, etc., to avoid having to torch it off. If you replace that bolt with another, it must have a very shallow head to avoid hitting the front stabilizer bar.

If they are factory brackets, make sure you get the whole thing. There's an angle support, and a couple of bolted-on tabs that are separate from the main bracket. If those are missing, the brackets will still protect your frame from damage, but may twist in use.

Whatever you do, make sure you use some kind of correct bracket, and that it utilizes the hole in the frame with an internal reinforcement.

standard.jpg

Back