• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Complete Guage Replacement?

tkjeeper

NAXJA Forum User
I have searched. Has anyone done a complete swap of all the gauges? I'm thinking of maybe autometer gauges. I've done the white background and am tired of it. I've never found a write up of anyone doing this. Love to see pics if anyone has.

Just a matter of either splicing into the correct wires for the gauges, or making an adapter from the stock connector. You would need to make your own bezel for them to fit in to. I've done this on previous vehicles, but not my Xj.

been looking into making my own, how hard is it to hook up the wiring harness to autometer gauges?

Depends on what year. Later models get the gage signals from the PCM. Not compatable with aftermarket. You would need to rewire the gages and probably use aftermarket sensors too. What year are we talking about?

For my '89 it looks like I can simply cut the wires and wire in the new gauge. Grounds might have to be rewires as I seem to remember there being only two grounds for all the gauges.

Of course nothing is ever that simple, so we shall see.

Yes sorry forgot the pertinent info. 93 xj, 231 auto. I cant believe that noone has done this here. I plan on a new bezel etc. With all the awesome upgrades I've seen someone has done this, I know it.

ultimatly it comes down to someone having the need to do it. Not many have it. There are a couple of guys with a V8 conversion that had to. The stock setup works well for most.

Yes mine work fine too except for a bastard fuel gauge, I'm just bored with them I guess.

Holy crap, just checked the prices, $250 just for a speedo!!!! WTF!! Okay, lets try a different approach, has anyone swapped different gauges into a cherokee? I may look into this, what about some blingy grand gauges? Anyone?

Holy crap, just checked the prices, $250 just for a speedo!!!! WTF!! Okay, lets try a different approach, has anyone swapped different gauges into a cherokee? I may look into this, what about some blingy grand gauges? Anyone?
That seems a little high. Here are the part numbers for the ones I was looking at

ATM-4314
ATM-4327
ATM-4337
ATM-4357
ATM-4492
SUM-G2886

Heres one for $91.
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/ATM-4492/

edit: Is a 93 mechanical or electric?

electric

I just dropped $525 on AutoMeter Speedo, Tach, H2O, Oil P, Volt and Fuel along with some indicator lights (green, blue, red and amber). Started it yesterday and made some progress. Hopefully I will have it done in a couple days. I will post the pics over here http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1007477 when I get it done.

They are the Auto Meter Phantom series, white face glow through lighting.
ATM-5897 Tach 3 3/8"
ATM-5887 Speedo 3 3/8"
ATM-5791 Volt 2 1/16"
ATM-5737 Water 2 1/16"
ATM-5727 Oil Pressure 2 1/16"
ATM-5716 Fuel Level 2 1/16"

I am certain these will all fit inside the original instrument cluster. I have completely disasembled the Jeep cluster and made a plate for them to mount into. I will get back to it in the next couple days, but it is going to look really nice when its done.

A friend of mine has a V8 swapped Wrangler with all autometer gauges. Looks great and I wanted to try it, but just too pricey for me now.

I just dropped $525 on AutoMeter Speedo, Tach, H2O, Oil P, Volt and Fuel along with some indicator lights (green, blue, red and amber). Started it yesterday and made some progress. Hopefully I will have it done in a couple days. I will post the pics over here http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1007477 when I get it done.

Posted the initial pics over there now.

Back