• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

chromoly

chromoly is for the big boys, and the big boys know about normalization and such.

for backyard builders, stick w/ DOM of appropriate thickness. or dont and go w/ aluminum.

what would you guys recommend as an appropriate thickness and size dom? if i were to use chromoly what kind? i have a bit of it available to me right now and would rather use it than buy dom... im basing the long arms off of the rubicon express radius arm set up...

The rubicon arms are a nice part. However I used 2" .250" wall dom for my lower arms with ballistic fab joints and inserts.. You can check the pics in my sig of my three link front end build up.. I doubt you will ever bend 1/4 wall dom unless you abuse your stuff on hard core rocks.. Or go flat out across a whoops section trying to jeepspeed..

what would you guys recommend as an appropriate thickness and size dom? if i were to use chromoly what kind? i have a bit of it available to me right now and would rather use it than buy dom... im basing the long arms off of the rubicon express radius arm set up...

...are you gonna normalize it?

if you have 4130, use it! No need to normalize .250" wall 4130 unless you tig weld using the proper filler, and use 4130 bungs, otherwise the haz/weld will still have different properties. Here is a good article on welding/using 4130, it is not really rocket science, and normalization is most important in thin walled(<.095") tubing structures.
edit: link doesn't seem to work anymore, maybe my pc...
http://www.netwelding.com/Welding 4130.htm

I understand you already have some chromo to use but by the time you have it properly heat treated you might have been money ahead to just buy some .250" wall DOM. JMHO

yeah, sounds like dom is the way to go...im going to check with the guys that help me out with the metal fabricating and see what they think, if i should still use the chromoly.. i think up these plans and run em by people that know more about the specifics...

Back