• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Will NP242 interchange ZJ-XJ

just wondering if the NP242 from a ZJ will interchange with a XJ. spline count and bolt pattern?

What year is your XJ? My recollection is that '87-'90 XJs had a different spline count to the NP242 used in the ZJ, so model year may be a factor. Someone will correct me on that if I'm wrong, though. Bolt pattern (assuming you're referring to the hubs) isn't an issue in this case, so you should be safe there.

Just as a general statement, though, you should be OK on physical fitment. I'm running an ex-ZJ 242 in my XJ right now courtesy of my original one grenading on me last year, and it went in without issue.

its a 99 xj so it should be a 23 spline input shaft. didn't know if the zj's ran that or not. and i meant the bolt pattern of the transfer case to the trans sorry. they appear identical and there more redily availabe in the zj's than the Xj's seems like around here. i knew they had different transmissions so i wasn't sure if they would swap or not

its a 99 xj so it should be a 23 spline input shaft. didn't know if the zj's ran that or not. and i meant the bolt pattern of the transfer case to the trans sorry.

Short answer: you should be OK. Check the transmission in the ZJ you're pulling the 242 from to make sure it's an AW4, though - mine came out of one with an AW4 and bolted right up, but (as you're aware) there were multiple 4-speed automatics used in the ZJs. I'm not really up to speed on what transfer case went with which engine & transmission combination in the ZJs, though - so as for whether or not an NP242 mated with, say, a 42RE will work in your XJ or not isn't something I can really answer as I just don't know the specifics well enough.

they appear identical and there more redily availabe in the zj's than the Xj's seems like around here.

That was a large part of the reason why mine ended up coming out of a ZJ - not to mention that I already had an SYE on the grenaded 242, so really did not want to lose that if I went back to a 231.

I think the ZJ only had the AW4 in 93.

Last edited:
I do not know if the t-cases are clocked the same on the other transmissions.

Give Advance Adapters or Novak a call, if those guys don't know nobody does.

Or, swing into your local salvage yard and have them check the parts interchange books.

Only the very early 93 ZJ's had the AW-4, 93.5 and later were the 42re.

You'll probably find the ZJ's input gear is longer than the XJ's, and keep in mind there was a gear cut change for the planetaries in 95.

Back