• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Closed to Open cooling system overflow leaking

MudfrogK5

NAXJA Forum User
Ok on my 90 4.0 I converted it to an open style using a filler neck and 1 qt overflow bottle which I was told is plenty big. I guess the bottle is just defective but I wanted to ensure I did not do something wrong or choose a wrong bottle.

The overflow bottle is leaking like crazy, steam will come from the top and bracket area and this morning it was pouring coolant out of the ball valve at the bottom even though it's closed.

This is the one I went with:
http://www.jegs.com/i/JEGS/555/511010/10002/-1

The radiator cap I chose is a Moroso 12-16lbs cap.

Should I choose a different overflow bottle? Need to fix this ASAP.

Anybody? The guy at jegs seems to think there is a ton of pressure and this caused it to fail, but I have no way of verifying this or ensuring it will work correctly if I do replace it. Any ideas?

looks like a really cheap bottle, but it still should work.
maybe try another radiator cap? (the moroso i bought was IDENTICAL to an autozone special i had before, so who knows?)

i run my overflow straight to the asphault.

Ok on my 90 4.0 I converted it to an open style using a filler neck and 1 qt overflow bottle which I was told is plenty big. I guess the bottle is just defective but I wanted to ensure I did not do something wrong or choose a wrong bottle.

The overflow bottle is leaking like crazy, steam will come from the top and bracket area and this morning it was pouring coolant out of the ball valve at the bottom even though it's closed.

This is the one I went with:
http://www.jegs.com/i/JEGS/555/511010/10002/-1

The radiator cap I chose is a Moroso 12-16lbs cap.

Should I choose a different overflow bottle? Need to fix this ASAP.

That bottle should work fine. It has a vent hole at the top. If coolant is coming out of the bottom, it is defective.

But the bottle shouldn't be under any real pressure anyway. Any chance your have a leaking head gasket?

What did you do with the heater hose/coolant recirc hoses that the closed system had?

i run my overflow straight to the asphault.

Don't be a
2vb2zxy.jpg

Get an overflow bottle.

Even if its a small plastic drink bottle zip tied to the radiator support, it's better than nothing.

Back