• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

strange speedometer question

BudgetWheeler

NAXJA Forum User
My speedo quit working last week so I crawled underneath to check it out. The sensor had come loose from the gear, easy fix. I noticed that there was another part hanging there that looked out of place and wanted to see if anyone knew anything about it. It looks like it would screw in place in between the gear and the sensor(and in fact it can because I tried), but there is no shaft to connect all of it together so the speedo doesn't work with that peice added in. Don't know if that makes any sense, check out the pic and you can see how it would fit in the middle.
random005.jpg

I traced the wire connected to it, it ran up and screwed into the firewall as shown in the second picture. My middle finger is pointing to the wire that comes from that piece, and then my index finger is pointing to where another wire leads from that connection to the under hood fuse box, as shown in the third pic.
random002.jpg

The fuse that I'm touching in the third pic isn't plugged into the box, but is an inline fuse and the yellow wire is plugged into and opening in the fuse box. I have no idea what this is for, do you?
random001.jpg

My only thought is that, since this used to be a state vehicle used by a park ranger, perhaps it used to keep track of mileage. When I was a lifeguard at St. Augustine we had to punch in our mileage to be able to get fuel from the county filling station, and if the vehicle was due for service then it told us so. That was my only thought, but that could be way off.

What year is it? Maybe it's a speed limiter.

Back