• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

need to paint some of my jeep? what to do?

blazinjames

NAXJA Forum User
Hey everyone I just bought a 95 jeep cherokee and there are a few places that need to be painted as the paint has majorly faded. mainly the hood and fender but there are a couple scraches that need some work.

Ive never done any body work or painting besides spray painting a tube bumper flat black so I really dont know what to do

the rest of the jeeps paint is still looking great is there a way for me to match the paint and paint over? get a spray gun and spray them?

should i leave this for someone more acustom to body work?

any ideas or suggestions would be great

thanks

A dealership should have matching spray paint. Just prepare (sand, putty, sand, prime, sand, paint, sand, etc) it and clear coat it nice after. Some people paint their hoods flat black to cut down on glare and keep the engine bay warm in cold climates. Good luck to you.. Do a search on google or something. Many people will do about 4 thin coats of base after prime with wet sanding of like 400 grit to start, working to 1000 or so. Painting is mostly about prep work and patience. It will look like best if you get a nice smooth finish before painting, then do at least 3 thin coats with some light sanding in between.

Good luck to you

Last edited:
well im going to school soon at wyotech for custom work but on my 86 xj i had to paint the front half so i juts taped off like 6inchs past the faded part and sprayed but went to a body shop so they could tell me the paint i needed so hope this helped u out a little

Back