• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Electrical Problem

menos

NAXJA Forum User
I've got a weird electrical problem with my new XJ. I'm just finishing up swapping my '91 drivetrain and axles over to a '92 body. The new body was missing the door handle/window control panel. I picked another one up at the junkyard.

As it sits right now the drivers panel will control all of the windows. However none of the individual doors controls will work for the windows. The drivers panel has a window lock-out switch on it. That switch has no impact.

The other problem is that if I try and hit the door lock switch on the passenger front door it causes the 'DOME' fuse to blow in the fuse panel under the dash.

Is it possible the switch panel is different between my '92 and the 93 or 94 I pulled the panel from? Or could the panel itself be bad?

I need to start tracing the wires. Anybody know where I could come up with a wiring diagram for the doors?

The Haynes diagrams are actually fairly accurate for stuff like locks/windows.

What you have sounds like a common issue, try bypassing that lockout switch (there is a FAQ on it in the FAQ forum iirc), also check to make sure there aren't any broken wires in the flexible ducts from the doors to the body.

As for the door lock switch causing the fuse to blow, I bet the power accessories tap wire (brown, plugs into the fuse panel in a certain cavity, I forget which) is plugged into the wrong spot, or you have a short from one of the lock solenoid wires to the frame. Does it only blow the fuse going one direction (i.e. lock vs unlock) or in both directions?

I've got a weird electrical problem with my new XJ. I'm just finishing up swapping my '91 drivetrain and axles over to a '92 body. The new body was missing the door handle/window control panel. I picked another one up at the junkyard.

As it sits right now the drivers panel will control all of the windows. However none of the individual doors controls will work for the windows. The drivers panel has a window lock-out switch on it. That switch has no impact.

The other problem is that if I try and hit the door lock switch on the passenger front door it causes the 'DOME' fuse to blow in the fuse panel under the dash.

Is it possible the switch panel is different between my '92 and the 93 or 94 I pulled the panel from? Or could the panel itself be bad?

I need to start tracing the wires. Anybody know where I could come up with a wiring diagram for the doors?

Not real clear in my 91-93 parts catalog, seems that 91-92 are the same, 93 is a different number. Looked up the switch in the 94-96 parts catalog and those are different than the 93.

I'm not 100% positive, but it appears you need a 91-92 switch.

I had the same problem with the windows, it was a broken yellow wire under the carpet in front of the drivers side front seat. The large yellow wire splits into like 2 or 3 wires and where it does this the connection had just broke in 2.

Back