• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Vacuum leak???

Diamnd1

NAXJA Forum User
Anyone ever heard or know of a fuel injector seal making a high pitch whistle, like a vacuum leak? I have a whistle coming from what sounds to be around #5/6 fuel injector on top of the intake and I know that it is not a leak from a hose, diconnected and plugged all of them. This is driving me nutz and cannot find anyone who can give me a yes or no on the subject. Need HELP before this whistle drive me bonkers!

if it was ur injector it would be spraying gas and sound like a water leak well on toyotas and nissan do i never had a injector leak on my jeeps yet but there will be gas coming out if it was

It does not have an EGR valve and I have checked the plugs. Whatever it is has no effect on the operation/performance of the drivetrain, however the whistle pitch is like ringing in your ears, unnerving.

ok my old 92 4.0 six had a little whistle and it was the air box. just a small hole but hard to say what urs could be hope u find it

Under exactly what circumstances does it whistle? For example, if only when you back off the throttle then it's a vacuum leak most likely from your intake manifold or TB.

Check the manifold stud at the rear of the head (Cyl #6). They often come loose and even snap off.

You need a high-tech piece of equipment to isolate the source of the sound.

Go to store (hardware, auto parts) and purchase a 3' ft long piece of vinyl tubing, about 1/2"~3/4" inside diameter.

Hold one end of the tube in one of your ears. Move the other end of the tube around the area the sound seems to be coming from. Remember to watch yourself you don't become entangled in any moving engine parts.

That piece of tubing will lead you to the source of the sound--I promise!

I have not filed for a patent on this technology yet, so just keep this between us, Ok?

It was the rear intake bolts loose. Tightened them up and it is good to go. Thanks for the help.

Glad you got it. :wave1:

Back