• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Tight turn steering problem

cecyt1300

NAXJA Forum User
Hey guys,

I've got a 97 Cherokee with a 4.0L, automatic, 242, selectrac. I live in Pittsburgh and in the snow storms recently had it in 4WD full time (during the storms) and 4WD part time (about two days later) when inclines were still bad and half lanes existed but level areas were pretty clear. Anyway, recently when making tighter turns like in parking lots WITHOUT the full or part time 4WD on I get the bumpy turn you get when you have 4WD on on pavement. No lights are on on the dashboard, everything looks okay under the front end as far as I can tell when I looked at the gas station.

At first I thought something was rubbing somewhere when I made tight turns but there is no evidence of that and plenty of clearance. It isn't lifted and has stock tires. The back was really full of stuff but has been unloaded and is still doing that. I put new tie rods and stuff on it before this winter and it has a new steering shock. I had the front end aligned after that.

It doesn't "feel" like the 4WD is stuck on, and like I said, no lights are on on the dashboard. Any thoughts as to what would do this when it's in 2WD? Could something just be stiff from all the snow and cold or does it need to be looked at? I have no facility to do any work on it where I am now, which sucks. I hate paying garage time. I don't know what to look for even if I did.

Please help!

Probably an axle U-joint is starting to go bad.
You will see rust or hear a squeek when it gets worse.
Wayne

Back