• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Aw-4 shifting weird

Headshot

NAXJA Forum User
So i just replaced my solenoids after a long while of just shifting through the gears...and now it starts in second? and even under full throttle it lags until about 2500-3000rpm and then shifts down and it'll tach out the motor and sit at high rpm for a few seconds before shifting up into overdrive and then lag some more and then itll down shift into third and it wont shift back to overdrive...any help would be appreciated

i dropped the pan, swapped the solenoids with brand new ones, changed the filter and pan gasket and bolted it back together...that and a regular oil change on the motor...but...otherwise i didnt fool with anything else...the tcm could be bad...since ive owned the jeep i have had to manually shift it...i swapped tcm's to see if it would fix the problem a while back and no dice...so i swapped solenoids and it works "better" lol...id rather not have second gear and it shift when its supposed to then be all crazy tho...

Remove the cables on the battery, let the comp reset ... I turn the key on after i removed the cables, let it sit for awhile..Then turn key off and reinstall cables..Test drive to see if this helps..

Can't hurt to try i always say..

yea tps can be 5 finger discounts=) lol and yea ill give the comp reset thing a try first thanks and ill get back to you guys here in a couple hrs i gotta do some drivin and re-shuffle the parking lot...ive got too many vehicles sitten around at home that arent runnin =/

I'd try shifting it using a pair of toggle switches and some wire with the selector in Drive. If it shifts properly then, you have a wiring or TCU/TPS issue. If it doesn't, you have a valve body/hydraulic/solenoid issue.

1st gear - connect power to solenoid 1.
2nd gear - connect power to both solenoids.
3rd gear - connect power to solenoid 2.
overdrive/4th - leave both solenoids disconnected.

This is all with the shift knob in Drive.

1. Adjust the throttle body pressure cable.

2. Test the TPS.

3. If symptoms still exist, unplug the TCU and shift manually 1st in 1-2, 3rd in 3, and 4th in D, plus park, neutral, reverse is all you will have. If the problem still persists then it is hydraulic/mechanical in nature.

i dont remember which one i bought off hand...i disconnected the battery and left the key on over night and it didnt make a differnece when i got in it the next morning...i havnt disconnected the tcm and seen if that makes a difference yet because i havnt been home to mess with it

Back