• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

oil temp gauge

skullcandy

NAXJA Forum User
i have a 97' jeep cherokee 4door with just a lil over 100,xxx miles on it runs great but was wondering about my oil temp gauge cause i just really doesn work not shure if it ever did it usally is at 0 for the most part might go up a lil once in a while when driving but i dont quite know what would cause this any suggestions plz help

1st, 2nd, and 4th rules of Naxja Club: always provide details of the vehicle you are working on.

3rd rule of Naxja Club: when in doubt, follow rules 1, 2, and 4.

1. Slow down.

2. Use punctuation.

3. IF you have the full-gauge instrument panel, you should have an oil pressure gauge and a coolant temperature gauge, but no oil temp gauge.

4. IS your problem with the coolant temperature gauge, the oil pressure gauge, or both?

yea your right and i had to cause it was late and i was tired didn know i wrote the wrong thing and it is my oil pressure gauge that doesn work sorry about that i thought i read it over i thought i did give enough info if not tell me what it is that you need to know and i will tell you sorry again for the mistake i hope we can resolve this

Ok.

Try this--pull the wire from the oil pressure sending unit located by the oil filter adapter and ground it. That should peg the gauge needle full right. If it does, you know the wiring and gauge are Ok.

Next, I would rent a mechanical oil pressure gauge and test your 4.0s oil pressure--knowing the real oil pressure will have a calming effect on your nerves, or will allow you to make informed decisions.

Lastly, and what is most likely your problem, replace the oil pressure gauge sending unit. Get it from NAPA or the dealership so it will be reasonably accurate.

My rig is: 1997, 4.0, aw4, 231, 155k miles, new head 5k ago.

Not sure what differences exist across XJ clusters, so here's a visual description of mine:

{Battery}-----------------------------------------{Oil Pressure}
--------------{RPMs}------{Speedometer}--------------------
{Fuel}--------------------------------------------{Oil Temperature}

Recently, my whole cluster started doing some 'funny stuff' - like a flicker where all the needles jump momentarily. Or sometimes its just individual gauges - even the fuel needle will do these little spikes sometimes. One time last week, everything went to 0, as if the truck was off, but then they returned to normal - mostly. Since then, the oil temp gauge doesn't ever rise above 110. I've never had a problem before... ...but I just drove for 3 hours non-stop this weekend, and obviously it got hotter than 110...

Not my video, and not even sure how much it matters, but I found a video online to better describe the exact orientation of my gauges:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HkNfkSLb0OI

What do you guys think?

Sporadic Cluster operation is usually due to the connector at the back of the cluster. Do a search, numerous threads on the subject. As to what you have, it is simple, either it has only a Tach and a Speedometer or, it has all the gauges. One or the other.

AND you do not have an Oil Temperature Gauge. Nope. Not unless someone added an aftermarket one. If it is in the Cluster, the only Temperature gauge is COOLANT.

But is does sound like it is time to deal with the cluster connector at teh very least.

Thanks! No wonder I didn't get many results when searching for 'oil temperature gauge not working' - because the only threads that did show up had to do with aftermarket gauges. Pretty silly mistake, I must admit. The problem with my search was that I didn't know what I was looking for. I appreciate your help, and will now use the much more appropriate search query 'sporadic cluster operation' to find more results.

FWIW;
This happened to me in my WJ last summer along with some other things....but my issue was a shity batt. terminal, but it looked brand new with no corrosion...... replaced the batt. terminal and all is well.

as stated above, I would check the plugs for the cluster first.

My rig is: 1997, 4.0, aw4, 231, 155k miles, new head 5k ago.

Not sure what differences exist across XJ clusters, so here's a visual description of mine:

{Battery}-----------------------------------------{Oil Pressure}
--------------{RPMs}------{Speedometer}--------------------
{Fuel}--------------------------------------------{Oil Temperature}

What do you think?

Oil Temperature ???

No, that's your COOLANT TEMPERATURE

...and the year does matter

Mine goes like so...

Coolant Temp..................................................Oil Pressure
TACH.............................SPEEDO
Fuel...............................................................Battery
Odometer
(mechanical not digital)

Aftermarket Trans Temp Gauge

Last edited:
Check the connector on the back of the gauge cluster as stated above. I had the same issue sporadically in my 2000. Just a little loose, and I guess it was enough to come out over hwy bumps. Have fun getting back there.....

Oil Temperature ???

No, that's your COOLANT TEMPERATURE

...and the year does matter

Mine goes like so...

Coolant Temp..................................................Oil Pressure
TACH.............................SPEEDO
Fuel...............................................................Battery
Odometer
(mechanical not digital)

Aftermarket Trans Temp Gauge

Yep, I dunno what I was thinking, the icon for the COOLANT TEMPERATURE gauge even shows two little water waves - a depiction that would never indicate OIL! Thanks for the layout description of your cluster in your 1990 XJ, it seemed like as I read other posts during my incorrect searching phase, I came across a couple of variants, and I'm glad I provided the information so you guys could help me.

Back