• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Change Trans filter

cardboard

NAXJA Forum User
I need to change my tranny filter before WF and was wondering if Synthetic fluid will do me any good. I am just going to drain the pan pull the filter and refill. Chiltons says the pan holds 4 qts just dont know if I will get any bennys from the mix of Syn and Dino.
TIA Cardboard

You do know that it is not a filter, but just a screen--keeps the big chunks out.There is NO benefit to mixing trans fluid, keep plain old DEX III in it ,or DEXIII/Mercon .

Wayne

^^^^^^^what he said ^^^^^^^

the only benefit is if you do a complete switch from dex to syn. dont bother mixing them. but if you do go syn, you cant switch back (from what i understand) once you go full syn you can't go back to "regular" dexronIII/mercon, same thing with motor oil too.

but that's just what i understand of the stuff, i haven't done any "real" research on it though.

Most here DON'T recommend using synthetic in the AW4. Do a search, they don't seem to like it. JIM.

The only part you should have on hand for changing the fluid besides the fluid itself is the little gasket for under the drain plug. It's likely to leak if not replaced.

The only part you should have on hand is the little gasket for under the drain plug.

You will most likely need an o-ring for the dipstick tube as well. Mine was completely stuck. The only way I could get it apart was with a heat gun, which ruined the o-ring.

Back