• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

speedometer not working after sye install

chris_conant

NAXJA Forum User
Just installed Advance Adapters Sye on my 1997 xj, np231 transfer case. Speedometer now does not work, any ideas. Everything is connected.

check the gear to make sure its "indexed" properly.

xx2

Have not had a chance to look into it yet but want to add that while driving, it is a 5 spd, when I push the clutch in to slow down to come to a stop the rmps drop real low and at times engine dies. Could this be realated to the speedo not working?

Very likely,you should have a CEL on also.

Yea the check light is on, did the reading only came up as speedometer reading malfunction.

mine did the EXACT same thing. The speedo sensor has 4 positions on it, for different size speedo gears. It will bolt in no prob in all 4 positions, but if it's in the wrong position it will either not make contact with the shaft, or it will gind the little plastic teeth to bits. Sounds like your isn't making contact, which will make the computer think the engine isn't running right (as in your standing still, but the engine is all over the place). reclock the speedo gear quick, as this can cause serious problems if left to go. mine died and crap all over the place on the initial test drive. Figured I installed something wrong, so I pulled the tailshaft housing off, and found nothing wrong. Upon reinstalling the speedo sensor I noticed numbers on each of the 4 positons to correspond to the number of teeth on the speedo gear. Reclocked it, let it idle for bout 15 min. to recalibrate the computer, and it ran like a top. hope this helps

mine did the EXACT same thing. The speedo sensor has 4 positions on it, for different size speedo gears. It will bolt in no prob in all 4 positions, but if it's in the wrong position it will either not make contact with the shaft, or it will gind the little plastic teeth to bits. Sounds like your isn't making contact, which will make the computer think the engine isn't running right (as in your standing still, but the engine is all over the place). reclock the speedo gear quick, as this can cause serious problems if left to go. mine died and crap all over the place on the initial test drive. Figured I installed something wrong, so I pulled the tailshaft housing off, and found nothing wrong. Upon reinstalling the speedo sensor I noticed numbers on each of the 4 positons to correspond to the number of teeth on the speedo gear. Reclocked it, let it idle for bout 15 min. to recalibrate the computer, and it ran like a top. hope this helps

So check the numbers on the speedo sensor change the position to the speedo gear teeth that are in the t-case. I will check in out and let yea know, thanks all for the help

just twist the housing that holds the gear and cable counter clock wise till it wont turn no more. thats what i did on mine

had it in the wrong posistion, got it working, thanks for all the help

Back