• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

replacing alternator on 95 jeep cherokee

blazinjames

NAXJA Forum User
I need to replace the alternator on a jeep i just bought. its a 95 cherokee 4l with AC im pretty sure the alternator is under the ac pump so what is the best way to replace the alternator? do i need to remove the ac pump or do i do it from underneath somehow?

thanks

Pull the battery, it'll give you a little more room to work.

Go from the bottom.. a couple bolts and some connections. Disconnect the battery first! The PS pump is what adjusts the belt tension.

so im not sure if im doing this right and I dont have a manual or anything to figure it out

Im trying to loosen the serpentine belt at the power steering pump, I loosened the bolt that is on the tension adjuster, then i started turning th bolt that adjusts the tension but the ps pump isnt moving at all? am i missing abolt or something?

I loosened the bolt that is on the tension adjuster, then i started turning th bolt that adjusts the tension but the ps pump isnt moving at all? am i missing abolt or something?

I've always had to loosen some of the other bolts as well in order to get it working right. Good luck.

Back out the bolt on the adjuster first and then loosen the bolt on the pulley of the power steering pump. Mine is a 2000 model I think that they are basically the same. I have to remove the electric fan on mine to really be able to get to anything, but all that is is a couple of screws and one electrical connector. Good luck.

Back