• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

HELP STUCK IN BOONE!!!

Blue 97 XJ

NAXJA Forum User
sorry for the long post but i need help
ok so the story goes that i was cumming back form subordinating and knowtised that i wasnt going anywhere fast but i thought it was my shitty tires spinning ( its been snowing all day and night) well cumming off the mountain it only got worse; about 6mi later i get to a stoplight and am stuck. no forward or reverse in any gear regardless of the transfer case. well with a car full of people it wasn't hard to push it into a parking lot. after a bit of head scratching i find a transmission cooler line that came OFF!!!
After that i pulled the dip stick and gave it a sniff, it didn't smell burnt to me:dunno:

so the question is should i just fix the line and filler up, or am i XXXXed and need a new tranny?
remember other than having it towed i will be working on this in 21* weather in a Walgreen's parking lot with very limited hand tools.

and the other important info; 1997 country, stock, AW4, 4x4
thanks for any and all help/info

Last edited:
I understand the AW4 is pretty stout and that you can really scorch it one time and get away with it. I've never done it, but I would just try refilling it and seeing what happens..... it'd be alot cheaper than towing it .

I think you should be fine for a while, if not forever. It should work just fine for the duration of winter so you can put a fresh junker in when Spring comes.

Being so cold outside, I doubt you've scorched it too bad....its kinda seems like you might have had the pan in snow ( thus ripping off the line) so you might be fine as far as temp, and have just lost your fluid and that = no go.

Fill her up and see what happens

EDIT: you should be able to get some small metal pipe/tubing to fit in your line, and some hose the same size as the current with a handful of hose clamps and put the thing together at least temporarily until junkyard hoses can be acquired and installed....be sure to get it tight.

Last edited:
Patch, fill, run, worth a shot.

doubt it'll work, sounds like you probably blew it up (they don't like running without fluid), but hey, it's worth a try. fill er up and see what happens. Cycle it through all the gears with your foot on the pedal once you fill it up and make sure the fluid is at a good level, then add as required and repeat. Once it stays at the right level, give it a try and see if it still drives well enough.

ok update went and got 2 gallons of atf and went to my jeep, after many breaks inside of Walgreens to warm my near frost bit hands i reattached the line and filled it up. IT WORKS !!!! form what i can tell all is good, it shifts smooth. tomorrow im going to a shop and am going to try to make that connection stronger. the jeep took about a gallon and 1/4 to a 1/2 :(

ok update went and got 2 gallons of atf and went to my jeep, after many breaks inside of Walgreens to warm my near frost bit hands i reattached the line and filled it up. IT WORKS !!!! form what i can tell all is good, it shifts smooth. tomorrow im going to a shop and am going to try to make that connection stronger. the jeep took about a gallon and 1/4 to a 1/2 :(

Curious if it was a disconnect or a rusted line.

(WHEW!!!)

Gallon is 4 qts. Trans takes 12 qts to totally fill, as I recall. Hopefully OK long term!
keep a close eye on it next month or so.
(Might consider a poorboy flush in a 1000 miles or so)
-----------------------------------
-----------------------------------
-just for reference for archives and searchs:
Fill level should be checked after a full 30 minute warmup drive and with Jeep as level as you can. Shift thru all gears, while idling in park reads between full and add marks.
(The dipstick is in the corner of a big flat pan so big changes with any tilt also hot atf expands)

Good Luck,
Orange

Me too! Live off Rama. Guessing you went to MP then.

Did you get it fixed? I have a few friends up there that could help (esp. tools and such). Lemme know.

And again, good luck to your Mother, sorry to hear about the surgery.

ha im off Rama too! well as for the jeep im taking it to a shop tomorrow and from what i got i should be able to get out for next to nothing. but if they try to screw me i send you a pm.

Get rid of them.

You missed the bullet this time.

Most just get some ATF appropriate hose and double clamp both ends onto the lines.

Best wishes for your mother's quick and full recovery.

Agreed. Do a very slight flare on the end of the hard lines before using the hose, else it slips off after a while. Just flare it enough that the rubber line has something to catch on so the hose clamps aren't just holding on by friction alone.

well the "fix" was to cut off the quick connects. and the strange part was the hose that came off was double clamped over a flange on the line. the only thing that i can think of that could have taken the hose off like it did would be a snow pile of something like it. but with the way its tucked up in the engine compartment it doesn't make sense.(no front skid, it might be time to find one) the other strange part is it seemed like the clamps were still tight on the hose.

anyone have any idea what type of pressure is in that system?

Not sure. What types of clamps did you use? I had a bargain basement standard hose clamp let loose and spray about 2-4 gallons of gas out before I caught it. Use only good quality clamps, preferably the types meant for fuel injection lines.

Mine were stainless too, but the band warped enough that the screw jumped a tooth on one of the clamps (I had it double clamped) and the cage the screw is in warped enough to slide out on the other one. I don't trust standard hose clamps on high pressure lines anymore because of that.

Back