• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Question about reverse circuit....

keep0njeepin0n

NAXJA Forum User
I just got these as a gift for my 98 XJ. http://www.quadratec.com/products/97036_00.htm

I was wondering, on my last 99 XJ I had a cheap set from Walmart and just wired them directly into my reverse circuit without using a relay or anything. Would it be ok to do the same with these new ones? It came with a 20a relay and fuse, so I would assume that I could just tap into the reverse lights using the 12v wire and a good ground.

The lights are 55w, but still 12v and with a 20a fuse and relay.

Thanks in advance.

BTW, these would only be illuminated for 30-45 seconds at a time MAX if that makes a difference!

Last edited:
You should wire them up with a relay to power them, and should also wire them up to have a bypass switch so that if you're parked somewhere you can turn them on if needed.

Yea, I would use a relay, best case scenario is that they are just dim from lack of power if directly wired it. Worst Case is that the melt wiring that runs the length of the XJ from trying to draw too much.

Hook up a relay and splice into the reverse power wire to use as the trigger, then you can just forget about them.

why wouldnt you use the relay? do it right the first time and just run a new power feed to the relay and tap into the backup curcuit for the trigger.

Back