• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

spare tire size

If the only spare you have with you is a 31 then it'll have to work. Is it ok? Maybe to get you out of a tight spot. To drive it home, no it would not be ok. But if you're like many and all your spare is doing is "it be a spare" it's better than "no spare"

wouldnt be terrible in dirt or something for a breif period. but it can severely damage your diffs and transfer case on the street, even in 2wd. a 33in tire move about 6in more per revolution than a 31in tire. you can imagine the strain on your drivetrain to compensate for that.

If you are locked, then no, you should not use tires that are not the same size.

If you are not locked, and just need to get off the trail, then yes, that should be fine. The open diffs will make up for the difference, it will just be like you are taking a corner.

foxwar71 drove off the trail on Saturday's run with one blown tire, and these are 35's.

GEDC0374.jpg

yea but everyone knos tht if u dont have a spare then YOU WILL GET A FLAT just the way the world works:D

Look into buying a used 33?? I was actually wondering something similar.

would it be ok to have a thinner spare? Like could you drive on the highway with 3 35x12.5's and 1 35x11.5. Just thinking out loud....would save wait.

exactly begster is correct. if your OPEN differentials, then the tire size difference wont matter. but if your locked or i'd even say limited slip i wouldnt put a 31 next to a 33. if your rears locked and your fronts open... and you blow a bead on a rear tire, i'd swap your front to the rear and put the 31 on front.

look at it this way, why would they give vehicles the doughnut spares if you couldnt run a different sized tire on an open differential.

...,why would they give vehicles the doughnut spares if you couldnt run a different sized tire on an open differential.
with speed/distance limits, explicit warning not to use 4wd, not to use off road,...

seach craigs list for cheapo tires for a spare. or even get hold of your local off road shop and have them keep an eye out for anyone tossing a set of old tires. even worn out, a spare is a spare as long as it holds air. getting off the trail and limping to the closest shop should be the main priority though.

i vote full size spare, but i think running a 33x10.50 spare for your 33x12.50 tires would be more than sufficient.

Back