• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

99 intake, head, and exhaust swap???

huff_diesel

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 90 XJ with the 4.0 and AW4 trany. Ive bought a 99 Head, intake, throttle body, and header. I know that i have to have the TPS adapter from tesco ( http://www.hescosc.com/shop.asp?acti...563&catId=7972 )

My question is how can I get the trany kick down and throttle cable to work and keep my renix sytem and sensors? Ive bn reading that I can use a 91-95 4.0 throttle cable and trany kick down. Is this true and if so is that all I would need? Any help appreciated.. Thanks

im doing the same thing on my 89 4.0 i dont recamend using the 99 head it has smaller exhaust prots then the first gen ho (92-98). i would get a used head from a jy and have ti machined and get a apn header .

as fort eh kick down cabel the factory one will work. you will need a ho throttle cable though
file0355.jpg

What did you do about the (TPS)(Throttle Position Sensor) From what I was looking at on mine where the throttle cable is on 87-90 its on the opposite side as the newer one. How did you get yours to pull correctly.
The 87-90 pulls toward the passenger side and the newer ones pull toward the drivers side. Correct me if Im wrong. Just want to get this swap done...:laugh3:

Ok looked at ur pic some more. Did you get the brackets off the newer throttle cable to use or is that the one off yours. If its the one off yours how did you mount it?

what happens is you get the bracket from a ho motor that ataches to the intake and holds the cables.you have to have the ho throttle cable to have it long enough to go up and over the head and back to the thottle body. havent adapted the tps yet but im gona do something like theas guys. f spending 140 bucks for that adaptor.
http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1024013

the bracket that holds the cables is the factory one that came on the 99+ intake

Seems like where in the same boat but ur a little futher in front..lol I know Ive bn searching this for a few days not a whole bunch of stuff on doing it except for on this site. Wouldnt be bad for write up on it step for step and sticky for the 87-90 guys wanting to upgrade to H.O. Im a noobie to this site but hell Pirate, Jeep Forum, and Cherokee forum had nothing or any replies to my post and Im on them alot.

I actually put a 99 intake on a 87 ported head, 94 tb, throttle cable, kick down cable, brackets, fuel rail, and plastic lines. Used the 87 tps and dremeled it out to bolt to the 94 tb with adjustment. I took apart both tbs and cut the tps end off the butterfly shafts then tig welded the 87 lever on the 94 shaft. (note the tps is rotated 90 degrees on the 94 tb so you will need to weld the lever 90 degrees rotated as well.) Then i just resembled the tb and adjusted the tps to .83v with the key on. You will also need to make custom vacuum lines and lengthen the wires for the iac in the manifold. Might as well get rid of the vacuum lines for the charcoal canister and egr valve. Oh, ofcourse I bored the tb strait through while it was off.

Ive seen through some links and stuff on here about the TPS. Does anyone have the parts that they have bought to make there own. One guy has a very nice with pics but not what the parts are.
I went to the good ol jubnkyard today and bought the throttle cable and bracket. Seems as if it will work and the kickdown from the trany reaching will be very close o. Just have to get the TPS sorted out and I will be done.

You cant use the tb that is already on the intake... The map sensor is completely different. you need a 91 to 94 tb. for the tps you just need two small bolts longer than the original ones and 4 nuts for adjustment. Cant remember what size they were.
0124001320.jpg

0124001320a.jpg

Last edited:
ya use the facoty 89 tps and dremel it out a bit. the bolt spacing is wider on the older tb then the new one by 1/8 inch. i basicly spent 4 bucks at home depo and built my own stuff. i jb welded the throttle plate arm lever thingy to the new tb.
file0359.jpg

file0358.jpg

Back