• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

rear hatch liftgate problems

bryceyoda

NAXJA Forum User
im wondering if anyone has any info or wiring diagram for the rear hatch liftgate.
i have a 1998 xj and everything has power to the hatch except to the door lock accuator. i really want to get it working. do you know if its tied into the driver door lock switch or is there a relay for it? cant seem to find and info or answers

There should be a relay, if I am not mistaken. Have you pulled your interior panel?

There's no relay for the one in my 93 and I don't see any mention of one in the FSM for the 97. Should be a pink/black & orange/black wire going to it, I'd start by checking to make sure that it's actually plugged into the lock mechanism itself.

There's not a relay for each individual lock nor for this particular lock.

On my 91 the lock actuator is off to the side of the latch, with a small rod connecting them together. However the most likely problem is a broken wire at the hinge. If you can get to the lock wire behind the hatch trim panel, you can test for current while somebody else hits the switch. On my 91 this means disconnecting the wire from the lock, and you have to kind of reach under it to get at the connector, but I don't know about the 97+ hatches.

Shouldn't there only be power present when the lock is being toggled? There should be two wires going to the lock mechanism in the hatch, unplug both of them and put the meter leads in the two connectors then have someone toggle the lock.

Back