• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Wierd electrical problems

dave92cherokee

NAXJA Forum User
Not really OEM and not MOD tech either kind of in between. I've been doing some work with my 92 4.0 4wd auto getting it ready for the buggy build. Just got done completely rewiring everything under the hood and the dash eliminating alot of unused connections and such. Before starting everything it started and ran fine as it was my DD, now nothing. I rewired everything according to the FSM schematics, eliminated the firewall connector by soldering each wire to itself all colors matched perfectly. Now as soon as I connect the battery with the key out the fuel pump immediately kicks on and stays running. When I turn the key from off to run position I hear a momentary pause then the pump kick back on like it normally would. When I try to start it it will start up and then 3 seconds later it completely dies as if the key was turned off, also during those 3 seconds if I touch the gas pedal at all it immediately dies as well. I know there's fuel getting to the rail as it will start and run momentarily. I'm going to bring my DMM home from work tomorrow to start checking voltages on the relays. If anyone's got any ideas what's causing it to shut off like it's doing please let me know. I triple checked the wiring for the only remaining relays and fuses and everything is dead on, only relays left are fuel pump, auto shutdown, and starter. Also only have about 6 fuses left mainly to power the relays, ignition switch, ECM, and a couple of other things that needed power. Going to also add a bottle of HEET and another 5 gal's of gas tomorrow to see if maybe it is just a little moisture in the gas. Even though it only runs for a few seconds it sure was good to hear it running again.

Back