• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

new vibration after long arm install

razorbackxj

NAXJA Forum User
This kind of goes along with the caster thread but I thought I better post it seperately.

Installed Rusty's 6 inch long arm upgrade. Set front caster at 7*. I have more vibration than I had before and nothing changed in the rear. Have I got my front driveshaft out of angle? What should the angle be?

Ultimately, it should be within 1* is what I'd think. CV shafts like the pinion to be angled to match the transfer case output shaft or SYE flange angle. I am no expert, just telling what I've found to work for me...

you want as much caster as you can get without creating vibes, so you may need to go with less caster or reposition the mounts on the axle to allow for different pinion rotation... :(

More caster is kind of like a motorcycle, gyroscopic precession keeps the bike going straight... same thing here, the longer wheel base means the XJ will go straighter down the road and be more difficult to turn as speeds increase.....

I had to run 6* of caster in the front to get the pinion angle within 1*. No vibes and now that I have 2 additional degrees of positive caster, my XJ don't wanna wander all over the highways and biways as much......

cv_angle.gif

Last edited:
Back