• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

spider gear problem, help, xj down...

mikeny59

NAXJA Member #300
Everything was going great replacing wheel bearings in 8.25, first axle shaft went in, c-clip no problem, then...

Other side axle popped one spider gear into drain pan, now both are out, at times can get them in at same time, but unaligned w/center pin holes.

I REALLY need advice asap, going back to finagle some more, will check back soon.

hey,

hopefully i can help. what i would do is put the upper and lower spiders back in and put the center pun thru, then you should be able to put the side gears in by having a helper rotate one tire while it grabs the spider, then install shaft (you should have it almost all the way in-ready to go) and c-clip and go to the other side.

this is the opposite of how i took them out to install a lock-right, i never put them back in, but it should work

HTH

-Tim

Tim,

I really appreciate the advice, I found though that I AM NOT A MORON. :rof: ha-ha-ha-ha

I kept thinking that the side gears HAD to rotate in opposite directions, but soon realized (after 1/2 a Guiness) that if I placed the spider gears 180* opposite another, I could carefully rotate them down and each side gear would rotate in the same direction. Presto, pin aligned.

Found some other interesting snafus, took pix, film at 11.

Thanks again!!!!!!!!!!! :kissyou: :laugh: :viking: :confused1

Mike

Back