• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Ratcheting from rear axle

casm

NAXJA Forum User
I've got a problem with occasional ratcheting from the rear axle on my 2000 XJ that has me stumped. It's an XJ D44 with Teraflex rear discs, 4.10 gears, and an ECTED locker; there's a Wilwood proportioning valve on the master cylinder (ABS, but disabled - fuses & relays are pulled).

Symptom: moving off from rest occasionally results in a ratcheting noise from the rear axle. There are no discernible vibrations from it while this is happening. It happens moving straight or in a turn, and typically goes away around 25-30mph. Applying the footbrake slightly or working the handbrake a few times while moving makes the noise stop while the brake is applied, but it comes back when the brake is released until speed is up. Eventually it goes away of its own accord, typically after driving for 3-5 miles, but can come back randomly.

Troubleshooting so far: checked rear calipers; they appear to be working properly. Checked handbrake cable; appears to be working properly. Jacked rear end and turned wheels by hand both forward and reverse with locker engaged and disengaged; no ratcheting and locker appears to be functioning as intended. Proportioning valve seems to be doing its job and does not have a noticeable effect on the sound.

Like I say, it's intermittent and there doesn't seem to be any clear cause as to the sound. This has been going on for a while, too: I had the diffs open a couple of months ago to change the oil and seals and while there were no immediately-visible signs of internal problems, I didn't tear everything down while I was in there. Friction modifier was added at the gear oil change so it should be OK on that score; no oil loss is apparent from either the axle tubes, breather, or diff cover. I don't believe this to be weather-related as it started up late spring / early summer, which was before the diff oil was changed.

Anyone have any ideas? It doesn't seem to be affecting anything, but it's not making me real happy that it's doing it either.

Last edited:
So far you have me stumped. Is is loud enough that you could take a video of it and post it?

So far you have me stumped. Is is loud enough that you could take a video of it and post it?

Let me give that a shot. Don't know how well it'll come out given that I'll have to use my phone's camera for it, but I'll try.

I assume the Teraflex brakes have an internal drum for the ebrake. Are the shoe retaining springs rubbing on something? I have explorer discs on my 9" axle and had a problem where the back of the wheel lugs would rub on the brake shoe retaining springs. It would make strange sounds at low speeds and applying the brake would make it stop.

Back