• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Help build rock sliders

jeepfreak1020

NAXJA Forum User
So Ive searched around and gotten a bunch of ideas about how i can make them and what kind of material I could use as well. Im still trying to figure out which way would be the best/strongest slider. So help me out here, what do you think is better?

2" by 3" tubing 3/16 thick
or
2" by 4" tubing 3/16 thick

And then should I add round tubing coming off the sides like JCR's,
http://www.jcroffroad.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=XJSL3&Category_Code=XJS or no?

Then should I use 2 or 3 legs from the slide to mount them to the frame?

jcr's are kinda the industry standard, they use 2 legs, 2x3 square.

the last pair i built were very much a hybrid design, mostly jcr on the outside, but with tnt style slip-in mounting usint 1.5x.120 dom for the legs, and 1.75x.120 for the shoes, it slips in perfectly.

when i used jcr's pinch seam style, i found 2x4 sticks out too far to add dom tubing on the outside. it'd just stick out too far. you could fit it with an ultra small gap, but i went without (not a rock crawler)

ive heard some people say 1/4 wall is better... theyre smoking crack! even 3/16th's is heavy as shit

For the cost unless you already have the material its cheaper just to buy them... I truly love to build stuff myself and I like to fab my own things but the cost of 300.00 gets you ready to bolt on Rock Sliders it's hard to beat.

For the cost unless you already have the material its cheaper just to buy them... I truly love to build stuff myself and I like to fab my own things but the cost of 300.00 gets you ready to bolt on Rock Sliders it's hard to beat.
not true... i can get all the materials for like $50 and then its just time...

i found 2x3/2x4 to be pretty expensive, so i can definately agree w/ logan91, HOWEVER. i have a perfectly good set of jcr sliders i just cannot bring myself to re-install. I imagine its like a stepchild, its just not of your own seed, how can you feel proud of them?

make 2 sets, and you can stay ahead on the economics.

I can build them for $60 because of the school I go to. I get metal at cost, then get wire and just the little pieces I will need, for like the legs and everything for free because we have it just laying around the shop. So its alot cheaper for me to build them.

I built my belly skid, looks just like JCR's, for $30.

not true... i can get all the materials for like $50 and then its just time...

its debateable, and everyones time has differant value's to them.

sounds like youve got a hookup, by all means, go build your own. i paid retail, and its not that much more to have them fed-ex'd. HOWEVER, you can literally make a set in an afternoon, while JCR has a 2+week leadtime on sliders.

Ya I get metal for cheap because I got the hookup. I want to buold them because then I can make them just how I want them. Just getting them to fit perfict is the only thing im worryed about.

So i think ill do 2x3 square, and then do 3 legs using round tubing, maybe square, just depends on what we have in the shop. How hard was it for you XCM to bend the round tubing and make it look good on your sliders?

i didnt add any round tube, but if i did it wouldnt be that hard.
hardest part would be getting them the exact same length.

have you done any tube bending? im no pro, by any means!

also, make sure you weld the legs to the shoes, and the shoe angle with it bolted up at the pinch seam. (the shoe doesnt meet the unirail at 90degrees)

build it in 2 stages, the outer part is pretty much square and flat. you can build that on the bench no problem. take your time and get the angles right.

Maybe ill just build the slider for now install them, and If I want to put the round tubing on down the road i will. You think you could give me some of your measurements from the sliders you built?

Ya ive ben tubing before, just hard to get both sides to match up sometimes.

yeah man, manual benders are awesome, but they require some skills to get a good result. im still developing mine.

i dont have access to the ones i built, but theyre pretty much modeled off of jcr's, which i could definately get measurements off of for you.

mine were about compromise, i had a stick of 2x4 that wasnt long enough to match the jcr's length, so i made em about an inch shorter, meh.

If you could just get the measurement of how long the leg is that would help me out alot, then from outside of the shoe to the tube, that way Ill know how thick the shoe is, and last how far the pinch seam is from the tubing. I think ill stick with 2x3 that way the measurement will match up with the JCR ones really close, and I wont have to worry about being off, or having them stick out to far, or not line up anything like that.

How long are the JCR ones to? I think im going to make mine 5'

X-whatever on the economics. I had 45.00 in metal when I made mine. Two suggestions:
1) use 3/16" on the sliders (1/8 seems to be adequate for the "legs")
2) make at least 3 legs on each side.
Look close at the pic, and you'll see that 1) the slider's bent and 2) the fender and bottom of the rocker are also bent. When I re-do mine, 3/16"(which should put me up around 100.00, having made 2 sets :D )
20477_106819595997339_100000078979196_197923_6082486_n.jpg

So are you telling me to that the shoes wont be completly at 90degrees when against the frame rails?
The rear shoe is aprox. 90deg. front to back, but angled slightly out to the top. The front shoe is angled both front/back and top/bottom.

Sometimes you really really need to just take a tape measure out and measure on your car. Like for fabbing rock sliders.

Back