• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

AW 4 shift kit

emsanford

NAXJA Forum User
Hi all,

I've been away from my XJ for sometime now and am recently getting back into it. I had purchased BrettM's shift kit a couple years ago. Just started searching for different setups for the module and tried to go to Bretts webpage listed on the instructions sheet only to find some disappointing threads about him not being around and no webpage anymore. Any help and updates about BrettM and how I can contact him or even any threads on how controlling AW 4 may have changed in the last couple years would be helpful.

Thanks

Not trying to be a pain or unhelpful, but if you decide to sell it, I would be interested... :D

I wanted one, then read all of the stuff about him not shipping them out, so I didnt take my chances.

Like I said, just throwing it out there. Good luck.

~James

Try using archive.org to retrieve his site as it was a few years ago. I usually have good luck with that.

Thanks kastein archive.org was able to find the old website. I'll remember that one. I was really interested in this kit. I just find it hard to believe there is no an interest in controlling the AW 4 manually. Anyone else. Does anyone have any clue if Brett hangs out on any other forums other than NAXJA. I guess people really can disappear online. Thanks

Marcus

There is! Brett has just gotten out of the game on it. Montana Fab (montanafab.com iirc) makes a kit that even works on 97+ XJs, radesigns (you already saw their site) has a kit that works, and if I actually get something working, my name will be blue when I do. Problem is, I have a full time salary position and it's been sucking up a ton of my time recently :roflmao: so I haven't been able to work on the project as much as I wanted to.

There is! Brett has just gotten out of the game on it. Montana Fab (montanafab.com iirc) makes a kit that even works on 97+ XJs, radesigns (you already saw their site) has a kit that works, and if I actually get something working, my name will be blue when I do. Problem is, I have a full time salary position and it's been sucking up a ton of my time recently :roflmao: so I haven't been able to work on the project as much as I wanted to.

i've had brett's shifter in since '05 and love it, but i like the radesigns one better so i ordered one last week.

Radesign's shifter is definately the way to go!!! I went through two of Brett's shifters before I got smart and bought the Radesign one. It works great.

thanks for th posting the link/info. I will order one of the RE designs units. I thought that Brad was the only one doing these...

~James

Thanks kastein archive.org was able to find the old website. I'll remember that one. I was really interested in this kit. I just find it hard to believe there is no an interest in controlling the AW 4 manually. Anyone else. Does anyone have any clue if Brett hangs out on any other forums other than NAXJA. I guess people really can disappear online. Thanks

Marcus

To me the only time i need to control my AW4 manually is when I shift down in to 1-2 in 4L or if i am pulling a trailer and don't need OD. BrettM pretty much took a bunch of money and ran AFAIK. not sure on the details though.

Well I appreciate the replies all. Was a little wary because of my spottiness on NAXJA and in the XJ world lately. It is still a friendly forum here and is one of the main reasons I joined. I'm gonna search the forums here about "redesigns and montanafab" shifters and reup myself on things. FlexdXJ my experience is you can never have enough options wheelin. I have a switch to hold gear one can't find the write up in my searches though (torque converter still functioning no lock out). Anyways coming down offcamber steeps I find I need all the gearing and predictableness I can get. My 4.56 gears and disc's on my d44 still don't give me the comfort factor I'm looking for. I like feeling the engine/trans holding me back while applying little if needed input to the brakes.

In all retrospect I can understand dipping out of the sceen (Brett) due to careers and such (lots of time and money go into enjoying this hobby and it easy to lose focus) but it's nice coming back and starting to work on an XJ again! Let it snow in PA yeahaH...

Marcus

I have the Radesigns Products Rail Shifter I still need to mount it. I love it. Néed to hook up the lock up and I'm done!! Sweet man must buy!!

Here's my thread on the Montanafab unit. Looks like XJ Mike bought one and piggybacked on the end of my thread. They modified the unit since I did my install, and now it's almost all plug-n-play. Read the last post first. XJMike posted pics of the new style unit.

http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1010278

is there any shift kits that actually firm up the shifts?

Back