• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Anyone try this on their front windshield?

seems like a waste to me. we get the cold up here, there have been a few "inventions" to speed up windshield clearance... personally I just get in and drive.
if you have frost, scrap it.
if there is snow, wipe it, and move it from the bottom of the windshield so the warm air from the engine can vent up properly.
if your concerned about the washer fluid, grab an new squirt-er tube and wrap it around the rad hose a few times then connect it back up normally... that will warm it up a bit.

not sure what the cost is on the heater thing, but a $5 ice scrapper/snow brush has never let me down.

seems like a waste to me. we get the cold up here, there have been a few "inventions" to speed up windshield clearance... personally I just get in and drive.
if you have frost, scrap it.
if there is snow, wipe it, and move it from the bottom of the windshield so the warm air from the engine can vent up properly.
if your concerned about the washer fluid, grab an new squirt-er tube and wrap it around the rad hose a few times then connect it back up normally... that will warm it up a bit.

not sure what the cost is on the heater thing, but a $5 ice scrapper/snow brush has never let me down.

Wow thanks for the how to drive in the Snow for Dummies.....

Im 37 and I've pretty much got all these techniques down, the thing is they all require that you are outside ur vehicle freezin urself, I don't know what the washerfluid heater would really do for me other than make more of a mess, and I've noticed recently that quite a few cars (Subaru everything they make now) are coming from the Factory with this same exact design. Most carmakers being cheap A&%^ I would think would make it optional (I don't think there is one offering it as optional) or they would not put it on there at all if they didn't feel it worked and there was demand in it.

But thanks for the useless commentary anyway I was hoping for some Northerner to chime in with either a) "YES IT ROCKS" or b) "Dont bother it sucks"
hasta

some one tried this on my hyundai forums, as well as that heater that goes in the washer fluid...

its cheaper to get a remote start, and that will actually work

I have 1 car with remote start, one without they can both be left to run for a while warming up, but I've found that it takes a long time to really melt all that crap at the base of the windshield and if you do leave it on that long then you are going to get into a car that is 100 degrees and u probably are all bundled up. Not to mention the extra gas ur wastin and some situations where u don't wanna leave ur car running unattended. Also if its cold enuf and ur at highway speeds it seems to me that ur eventually gonna get ice build up on the wipers no matter what ur defrost is set at, perhaps the combo of both would keep that at bay

that is pretty sweet i don't see why it would not work. you should wire it to the stock rear defrost switch. at least your not pulling a frozen wiper off the window and messing up the edges.

i seem to always have issues with the interior fogging up once im all covered in snow and get in the jeep from scraping. plus my defrost is lacking

not sure if the washer heater would help much cause your wipers will get torn up before it all melted

you're 37 and using "u" and "ur" still? :weird:

Also, I consider myself a lazy sack and I dislike standing around in the cold, but I am fine with what I have... got one of those 5 foot long extending snow scrapers/brooms from Home Depot. I can scrape my entire windshield standing in one spot. Cost me like ten bucks, I have one in each Jeep now.

that is pretty sweet i don't see why it would not work. you should wire it to the stock rear defrost switch. at least your not pulling a frozen wiper off the window and messing up the edges.

i seem to always have issues with the interior fogging up once im all covered in snow and get in the jeep from scraping. plus my defrost is lacking

not sure if the washer heater would help much cause your wipers will get torn up before it all melted

X2

you're 37 and using "u" and "ur" still? :weird:

WOW!!! Grammar police much sir? The above is just standard txt msg garbage english which most of us who kick it on the internet on our PHONES now use all the time, why polute my post with that commentary when you actually have something to ad later on in ur(sp) post with the 5 foot long scraper story (compensate much sir?) and of course attempt make us all feel inferior to u(SP).....

AGAIN I ASK: Does anyone actually have or have used one of the aforementioned devices???

These are exactly the issues I'm facing (I suspect mostly everyone with a similar model year XJ as me is also when faced with 10-30 degree weather and snow) and thank you sir for actually reading my original post and now adding some sarcastic nonsense in ur reply.:sunshine:

Im 37 and I've pretty much got all these techniques down, the thing is they all require that you are outside ur vehicle freezin urself, I don't know what the washerfluid heater would really do for me other than make more of a mess, and I've noticed recently that quite a few cars (Subaru everything they make now) are coming from the Factory with this same exact design. Most carmakers being cheap A&%^ I would think would make it optional (I don't think there is one offering it as optional) or they would not put it on there at all if they didn't feel it worked and there was demand in it.

But thanks for the useless commentary anyway I was hoping for some Northerner to chime in with either a) "YES IT ROCKS" or b) "Dont bother it sucks"
hasta

WOW!!! Grammar police much sir? The above is just standard txt msg garbage english which most of us who kick it on the internet on our PHONES now use all the time, why polute my post with that commentary when you actually have something to ad later on in ur(sp) post with the 5 foot long scraper story (compensate much sir?) and of course attempt make us all feel inferior to u(SP).....

AGAIN I ASK: Does anyone actually have or have used one of the aforementioned devices???

Nominated.

hasta

I feel just horrible, please accept my deepest apologies for ruining your life... I mean thread.

a) "YES IT ROCKS"

better?

Last edited:
I say give it a try. my friend has a mercedes G-wagon that has a built in defroster in the windshield from top to bottom and his wipers have never been stuck to the windshield. i could never understand why people can't read a post that asks a simple question and answer "yes I've tried it and it doesn't work" or " yes I've tried it and it works great". Maybe said people weren't hugged enough as children.

"GO PENS!!!!!"

Does anyone really have just a good recommendation on a good quality ice scraper? Maybe a link and a review?

Or would I be better off with one of those 400deg heat guns from Hope Depot?

beakie do you have a writeup for that washer fluid mod? I would really appreciate it. If it has already started freezing here, could I just heat up some washerfluid in the microwave and put it in a squirt bottle?

I would really love to get one of these:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/44-T...ptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

but does anyone know if I can get one with the fleece lined glove thingies like this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Summ...temZ370331417238QQptZLHQ5fDefaultDomainQ5f100

thanks and I hope to get a lot of help from this thread. It is supposed to Ice here tonight and I just don't know what to do

:roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao:

Back