• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

I have an idea, but I need to know what this part is?

mgreen84

NAXJA Forum User
I am having an issue with my brake light switch... thanks to everyone that has helped me today... but someone has ghetto'd this thing so bad I am just tired of trying to correct it... junk yards don't have any XJ's with anything left.... I am going to use a GM style Brake switch, but I would like to know what the Light/White colored switch is at the very top of the brake pedal? If it is the Cruise Control Switch I am doing away with it since the cruise control does not work anyways and using this spot for a brake switch... thanks

What are you working on?

87-90 Parts catalog lists three brake switches:

J322 5787 1 w/Cruise Control
J321 5938 1 w/o Cruise Control
5600 2281 1 W/Cruise Control (Plunger Type w/Vac. & Elect. Conn.

You may have an aftermarket cruise.

You could grab a plunger-type brake light switch out of almost anything at the salvage yard and make it work.

thats the honey do for tomorrow... thanks alot!... now I have to figure out how make this power seat move back since the motor is bad?!?!

Either the brake light switch or the cruise switch is going to be used to unlock the torque converter, so make sure you don't disable that function. I think on the 87 it's the cruise switch. At least that's what I see on an 89 wiring diagram. On later models it's done by the engine computer reading the regular brake switch operation and sending that signal to the TCU, but I'm pretty sure the earlier setup sends a separate brake signal straight to the TCU from its own switch.

Back