• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

My CS144 alternator upgrade: Need input on belt routing

dan89XJ

NAXJA Forum User
Ok, I picked up a CS144 delco remy alternator for next to nothing. I figured out how to get it mounted on my 89 XJ, but still need to finalize the install. I have a few belt routing options, and would like input on which is best.

Here are pics...

First one: This is the one I *want* to go with. I am just unsure if I have enough belt wraped out the crankshaft pulley.

34si0xu.jpg

2nd: I like this setup too.. but I dont think I have enough belt on the CS144

2we9mhz.jpg

3rd: Stock alternator delete. This will require a short belt.. but would work good. I plan on leaving the cs130 alternator in there for a backup alternator, or a welding alt someday. With no belt on the cs130, I am worried it'll rust up or something because it wont be spinning around down there.

2wmknew.jpg

You should be able to mount the CS-130 in the same mount you made for the CS-144, unless you used a CS-144 that is "clocked" differently.

I would pull the CS-130 and carry it for a spare.

You should get as much wrap on the alternator as possible. I wouldn't go less on the CS-144 than what you had stock on the CS-130.

#2 with an idler pully on the lower alternator mounting screw is probably as good as you're going to get. The thumb rule for alternator "belt wrap" is 110-120* minimum.

For the crank pully? As much as you can get - it's the power source. For the OBA pump, 140-150* or so. For #1, there just ain't enough wrap around the crank pully.

For #3, there's a good chance you'll freeze up your alternator from disuse, unless you can remember to give it a good spin at (relatively frequent - say, semi-weekly?) intervals.

See if you can mount another stock idler somewhere. For #1 an idler might fit on the timing cover between the lower alternator and the harmonic balancer to increase contact on the latter. One might fit on #2 on the bolt between the two alternators to increase tension on both of them.

Back