• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

renix vs ho tps

BenDiesel

NAXJA Forum User
so im in the process of gathering parts to do the 99+ swap on my renix engine. noticed the idle air control valve was the same on the 2 but the tps was diff. the renix one had 2 plugs coming out,one plug with 3 wire and the other with 4 wire square plug. just wondering what the pin out were of the 2 i cant seem to find it on any of my books or the net. also need pin-out for the 91 +

ps would it matter if i got the tps off a ho grand Cherokee?

heres some picts to help with my dilemma

renix vers

ho vers

Last edited:
so no one has any thing to say about this? i could use some help

Givvus a minute, gov!

The first problem is that the "engine side" of the RENIX A/T TPS works in the opposite direction from the HO TPS - which is why you have two plugs (the TCU side works on an increasing resistace - the output voltage decreases from idle to WOT - and the engine side works on a decreasing resistance - the output voltage increases idle-WOT. This is why the RENIX A/T TPS has two plugs, and the RENIX M/T TPS has one. The four-pole is for the TCU.)

I'm mildly surprised there isn't a means to "calibrate" (read: "adjust") the HO TPS upon installation - I guess the HO ECU is more able to adapt to the varying readings (different sensor units, sensors aging, ...) than the RENIX.

RENIX 242ci TPS pinout (for ECU, de 1990 FSM. Letters are moulded into the connector shell):
A- (18AWG GRY) +5VDC Reference Feed from ECU pin C15
B- (19AWG BRN) Sensor Ground (common to TPS/CTS/IAT/MAP)
C- (20AWG BLU) TPS Output to ECU, pin C7

If someone else could provide the HO TPS pinout, it would be appreciated. I can't get to my 1991-up FSMs at the moment...

so dose this mean that the trans wont work if if i do this swap? or can i wire both of the old tps plugs into the one plug for the new tps to make it work? or do i have to figure a way to make the old tps work with the new tb?

thanks for the input.

You just gotta figure out a way to make the HO TB shaft push the lever on the Renix unit, and still be able to adjust it. Mine has a fine adjustment screw, but most of the others you can find on here are probably easier to make, look nicer, etc. Just hold the Renix unit up there and visualize, then fab away :D

image-9569_4B032C44.jpg

image-39B7_4B032C44.jpg

thanks for the heads up . wish he had better instructions on how he did it

Back