• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Control Arms

Brett J

NAXJA Forum User
Hey,

Ok, so i have a BDS 3" lift and to level it out i have an inch and 3/4 spacer up front. It looks really nice, however i have stock control arms and i hear this is a bad setup. True or False? and if i do need CA's then what brand is good, yet cheap. Im tight on money guys.

You could use Pro Comp. I had a Pro Comp 3.5" lift on mine when I bought it. You will probably need drop brackets to have a decent ride on the road. I would not use stock arms, upper or lower.

As the height of your Jeep goes up, the front axle gets pulled back and the pinion starts to rotate upward. At 3in of lift, all that you will really need is some slightly longer lower CAs, not uppers. Drop Brackets are not recomended for lifts under 4.5in. If you are happy with the lift you have now, just buy fixed length control arms, as they are cheaper. If you think you might want to go higher or swap axles, buy adjustable ones. Look at Iron Rock Offroad, Ironman 4x4, or Rough Country. There are many other Manufacturer's as well, but these three seem to offer the best strength to price ratio.

Matt

what are drop brackets? why should i not use stock arms?

Drop brackets, such as these RE brackets with my 5.5" SA lift, lower the LCAs to a more horizontal angle, thus improving ride quality and increasing articulation. The stock LCA mounting bolt is the bolt located a few inches above the current mounting point shown here.

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

Last edited:
You probably don't need drop brackets. They are more for the 4.5"+ range. But if you wheel, aftermarket control arms (uppers and lowers) are a good idea. The stamped metal control arms that you have now won't last to any serious wheeling. If it is for the road only, you are probably OK.

You probably don't need drop brackets. They are more for the 4.5"+ range. But if you wheel, aftermarket control arms (uppers and lowers) are a good idea. The stamped metal control arms that you have now won't last to any serious wheeling. If it is for the road only, you are probably OK.

Re-read his post,He's at 4-3/4".
To the OP,buy drop brackets and use your stock arms.If you do decide on some arms later at least get some good ones(avoid Pro-crap).

The reason I advised against using the stock arms is that they are simply very weak. The uppers especially. I snapped 3 sets of stock upper arms in two before I finally replaced them with better. The Pro Comp lower arms I had were plenty beefy and lasted me through some very abusive wheeling. I am also using Pro Comp adjustable remote reservoir shocks and I am very happy with them. I have not used other Pro Comp products but I would not hesitate to.

i like the re arms personally. just a thought inst a tube is usually bend stronger than a solid bar? and yes the stamped sheet metal arms are really a joke when it comes to wheeling...

Back