• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

steering wheel slop and grind

ehall

NAXJA Member
NAXJA Member
I had to roll my jeep down a hill about 10 feet so I put it in neutral and coasted. Noticed the steering wheel had some slop and had a ratchet/grinder feel. I assume I damaged something pushing the 31s in the two-foot standing snow we had here. Anybody know what these symptoms point to?

The slop could come from several things. The joint in the steering shaft just in front of the firewall is known for getting loose and allowing about 1/8 turn of play. The grinding is probably a toasted gear box.

depends dose it only grind when you turn the steering or while your rolling in a straight line?

Only when turning. I unlocked the steering wheel, put the tranny in neutral, and then turned the wheel a bit and that is when I felt it. I turned it a little more the other way and felt it again. It kind of feels like one of the u-joints has lost a bearing.

Steering is fine when driving so I guess the power steering is keeping me from noticing then.

The slop could come from several things. The joint in the steering shaft just in front of the firewall is known for getting loose and allowing about 1/8 turn of play. The grinding is probably a toasted gear box.
Seems to be my probolem. I had somebody slowly pull the wheel while I looked under the hood and there was a very distinct pop-thud that clearly came from the firewall joint. I couldn't see anything move though, and the whole joint is covered in some nasty thick grime. I guess I will be pulling the brakes back off to take a better look or effect repairs. Any good pointers on what is wrong and how to fix?

Got the lower shaft out today and looked, the bushing seems intact. Also the u-joints on it are good and I am unable to make it do anything weird with hand pressure

Orig_Lower_Shaft_Bushing.sized.jpg

However I did notice some play in it when I was jerking it around in the vehicle so I went ahead and added a 1/4" rollpin per the idea by ricko70 in this thread.

Orig_Lower_Shaft_with_Roll_Pin.sized.jpg

Reinstalled it and steering is slightly stiffer but the slop and pop is still there. Upon further inspection I think the popping problem is with the column, since I was able to wiggle the shaft coming through the firewall, and was also able to wiggle the steering wheel with the lower shaft disconnected--all told the column shaft seems to be loose in its housing. I also noticed that the input on the steering box isn't loose or anything but it has some play before the Pitman arm moves, maybe 1/4 of a turn. This is probably the source of the wandering, but I think the pop is in the column. I also made a leak in the rear seal on the steering box during removal so I get to make that upgrade sooner than expected.

Any more insights on this?

Tilt column Eric?

Heres the ball coupler in a tilt column, i'm guessing your slop may be the union here at the upper and lower portions of the column shaft. It's nylon and mine had a little slop in it in my 88.

_0078.jpg

Yeah it's a tilt column. I have seen people talk about tightening up some hardware and am tempted to open it up (need to replace the wire for the cruise control anyway) but I'd rather not.

What about lower bearing in the firewall? It seems people replace those a lot. The upper shaft warbles around where it sticks through the firewall so bearing seems possible but this whole area is new to me.

IIRC there is an upper bearing also, but it's been better than a decade since i last tore one down completely... i swore i'd never do it again.. i swapped an entire column the last time.

Anyway, heres a pic you can see the upper bearing in the half hanging. The plate behind the upper half is the the one that the torx bolts loosen out of.

_0082.jpg

Got the lower shaft out today and looked, the bushing seems intact. Also the u-joints on it are good and I am unable to make it do anything weird with hand pressure

Orig_Lower_Shaft_Bushing.sized.jpg

However I did notice some play in it when I was jerking it around in the vehicle so I went ahead and added a 1/4" rollpin per the idea by ricko70 in this thread.

Orig_Lower_Shaft_with_Roll_Pin.sized.jpg

Reinstalled it and steering is slightly stiffer but the slop and pop is still there. Upon further inspection I think the popping problem is with the column, since I was able to wiggle the shaft coming through the firewall, and was also able to wiggle the steering wheel with the lower shaft disconnected--all told the column shaft seems to be loose in its housing. I also noticed that the input on the steering box isn't loose or anything but it has some play before the Pitman arm moves, maybe 1/4 of a turn. This is probably the source of the wandering, but I think the pop is in the column. I also made a leak in the rear seal on the steering box during removal so I get to make that upgrade sooner than expected.

Any more insights on this?

quick hijack. I just recieved my replacement lower steering shaft from Morris4x4.com today.

My rubber bushing IS wasted, and is the source of my loosey/goosey steering input.

What did you have to do to remove the shaft? does it have enough space to slip down (or up) and then off?

Or did you have to remove the box?

thanks!

I unbolted the box and pulled it to the side. Kind of a pain to line it up again afterwards. I have seen other people say that they unbolted the column and pulled it out a little.

You need to completely remove the bolts at the compression fittings on each end of the shaft.

Back