• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

factory 97 gas tank skid?

silvrzuki77

NAXJA Forum User
Hey I've never seen one before but my neighbor pulled one off of a 97 for me in the junk yard yesterday. The jeep was 100% stock no modifications at all So I dont think it was from a ZJ. Any clues?
gastank.jpg
gastank2.jpg

No he pulled it off of a Cherokee that was stock so he doesn't think someone put a ZJ tank skid on it. Its a common swap.

Looks like my 2000 skid!

That's a ZJ skid. The 1" wide "ramps" at rear corners are the clue.

That's a ZJ skid. The 1" wide "ramps" at rear corners are the clue.

That doesn't look anything like the ZJ skid I have.

yours had a factory skid?

My UpCountry Off-Road package Cherokee came with 3 factory installed skids, front and rear tow hooks, HD cooling, trans cooler, and a Limited Slip Trac-Loc differential.

I have 2 ZJ and one XJ gas tank skids in the shed.

The early 97's came with the "fin" looking part of the skid, and are interchangeable with ZJ's. The "fins" on the skid were eliminated with the 98's....

Just search, ZJ skids will fit on a 97-01 XJ, you just have to open up one hole on each side by about 1/4. Several of the local 97+ XJ's are runinng ZJ skids.

IMG_0163.jpg

yea i have an 97 and i put on a ZJ skid but i had to do a bit of trimming due to my trailer hitch. wasn't all that bad the only things i dont like is the gap between the tank and the skid, but maybe that's how it should be i dont know, and mine pushed the exhaust hanger off to the the side and is touching but it doesn't rattle so im ok with it.

I must have gotten the worst case, as I took a factory hitch off an older XJ, I wanna say early 90s with that huge plate in the back that attaches behind the front bumper, and a ZJ skid. So far I've had to cut that plate off, I bent the back of the skid quite far up and it still hits, I've drilled a number of holes in the mounting locations and it still doesn't line up. I'll need to cut about an inch or so off the back of the skid and then maybe it will line up.

my 97' came with all the skid plates front gas tank and others

Back