• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Jeep having trouble starting....

Ben824

NAXJA Forum User
1997 Country 4.0L, Auto, 4x4 with 184,xxx miles.
The past couple of days the Jeep has had trouble starting to the point where I have to give it some throttle to get it to start. I have a K&N full intake replacement kit on that I haven't cleaned the filter in a while but it isn't covered in mud or anything its just not really red anymore. I also haven't replaced the cap, rotor, and spark plug wires in about 4 years but they are from that FirePower Ignition kit you can get from quadratec.com so I figured they would last a decent amount of time since even factory stuff will go about 5 years before you have to really replace them due to failure. The spark plugs are Champion 4412s that I put in about 2 years ago. Now I am probably going to replace and fix these things just because it is probably about that time but is there something else like a sensor that I might want to check? I have no check engine light on or codes coming back when a scanner is hooked up to it. The oxygen sensors are fairly new, the one on the cat is less than a year old and the one up stream is about 3 years old roughly. I have never replaced the injectors but I do try to run fuel cleaner through it fairly regularly and I even had a BG fuel system treatment done to it about a year and a half ago. The guys at the shop told me that when they do that treatment on vehicles the more white smoke that comes out the tail pipe then that is a bigger indicator of how dirty the fuel system and engine was. And they said mine really wasn't that bad and probably didn't need it. I just don't want to throw a whole bunch of money at it to try and cure this and then it come down to something simple.

Having to "tip in" the throttle to start can indicate a failing throttle position sensor. Located on the throttle body. They can be tested with a manual and a meter. Would be worth your time to test this.

Freshening tuneup parts is never a bad idea. When you mention that you replaced something "X" years ago, that doesn't tell us how many miles are on those electrical components, which is more important to judging the lifespan of the component than time.

Don't throw parts at this. Terribly inefficient and gets expensive in a hurry. Test your way to a solution.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

As far as miles go lets say on average 10,000-15,000 miles per year. And I thought about the TPS because I ruined one a few years ago back when I used to take my Jeep out mudding but it was real bad.

Surprisingly enough the Jeep started up ok this morning even used the remote start to get it warmed up and it actually started it up unlike some mornings where it just doesn't want to start with the remote start.

Back