• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Blinker issue

bigalpha

95 XJ

- with no lights on, the right blinker works
- with no lights on, the left blinker will make the brakes flash
- All lightbulbs work
- When hazards are activated, the dash lights blink too.

Bad ground? Ideas?

Did you check the blinker fluid?

When using the left blinker, not only do the brake lights flash the passenger blinker flashes but the passenger blinker doesn't blink.

The corner light on the driver side doesn't flash at all, though. I just replaced the bulb so it's good.

Last edited:
I thought it might be something like that. I'll check the socket and make sure the contacts are clean.

Know which of the wires is the ground?

TEsting the socket against the batt neg terminal, only one contact should have resistance and the other contact should be open, right? I was getting resistance on both contacts in the socket.

Also, with the parking lights activated my foglights work. When the headlights are activated, the fogs go off.

fuses? wireing? did it just stop? did they work before? dash light works?
if you turn the lights switch to the left does the incab light up?

mark

The lights themselves works; the bulbs are not blown. Everything worked fine before yesterday. Yes, the in cab lights will turn on with the switch.

definitely sounds like bad grounds.

wiggle some wires and see if it comes back on.. i agree on the ground theory..

mark

95 XJ

- with no lights on, the right blinker works
- with no lights on, the left blinker will make the brakes flash
- All lightbulbs work
- When hazards are activated, the dash lights blink too.

Bad ground? Ideas?
what led to this happening? the history of what you were doing or how this all of the sudden happened would help. Were you changing bulbs? adding LED'S? messing with anything electrical? If your answer is no, and it just randomly started doing all of this, i would suggest swapping the combination switch and or headlight switch. When those things start to fail all sorts of funny things can happen with the lights.

I wiggled wires, I cleaned off teh contacts inside the socket some, I switched bulbs I wiggled the bulb.

It just happened. I didn't fool around with anything. I didn't change anything, I didn't touch anything.

I found today that if I hold the stalk down (left blinker) without clicking it into place, the driver corner light will illuminate. Once I click it into place, that light goes out. This doesn't make any of the other lights go on or off, though.

Will a bad ground in the socket cause the brake lights to flash and cause the instrument cluster to flash as well? That didn't happen when the sockets in my MJ were bad.

You need to park sideways on a slope, the blinker fluid is all pooling on one side of the vehicle's blinker system.

Sounds like grounds to me, or a pinched wire. Nothing to it really except unplugging stuff and using the standard Divide and Conquer approach... can't be avoided.

Where does the wiring from the socket go to? Where is the next connector I can test to isolate the section of wiring that's the problem?

All of the forward lights are on the headlight harness. There's a plug for it under the airbox or thereabouts. Follow the wire bundle out of the back of the header panel.

All of the exterior lighting is constant ground with switched power. Ground problem is unlikely since they are already grounded, but it gets weird sometimes I know.

Sounds like a problem with the headlight switch to me.

Also, what are the corner lights supposed to do when the headlights are on and when the blinker is activated? Does the corner light flash with the blinker? Does it act the same with the running lights on but no headlights?

Back