• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Replacing Dana 30 Pinion Seal

2000XJSPORT

NAXJA Forum User
Hello all,

I did a search on this and found some info on doing this job. I was hoping to do this my self since my dealership and local repair shops want over $200.00 to replace it. My Dana 30 is leaking from the pinion seal and its on my 2000 Jeep Cherokee Sport.

My question is about the pinion nut. I found a site that shows the process, but I'm afraid to take that nut off without causing any problems. When I put it back on how tight do I make it. I don't want to crush the sleeve and make things worse. Does anyone have any insight in replacing this?

This is the site I found. Step 12 just says tighten it. Is this ok?

http://www.jeepingsingles.net/tech/pinionseal.asp

Thanks in advance.

While this type of repair is used,its not perfect(as in- doesnt work every time).Most "mark" the nut,then count the turns it takes to remove,install is reverse plus an 1/8-1/4 turn more.Personally I like to use a new crush sleeve and pinion nut everytime but that changes everything.If youve done a few R&P before you can "feel" the crushsleeve!Other than that you have to pull the carrier to do a proper set-up.

Back