• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Stock 8.8 or built 8.25???

x2elite

NAXJA Forum User
Which do you think would be a better axle. I have a 29 spline 8.25 under my rig right now, that is geared, locked, and I could easily slap some alloy shafts in it. OR I have an 8.8 with 4.10 gears, and stock LSD, and stock shafts ready to swap in. I am debating on just keeping the 8.25 and putting alloy shafts in it, and selling the 8.8. Or putting the stock 8.8 in, and selling my 8.25. I could use the cash right now, and should be able to sell the 8.8 pretty easily I would think. I am looking for other opinions on the matter.

I would keep the 8.25 i have 29 spline in my xj I run 35" mt/r s on the street and 37" irocks when its on the trail woped on it pretty good a few times never a problem broke a few front axle shafts but thats it
my 2 cents

I guess I should also include that I'm running 36" swampers on beadlocks, and an hp44 front.

No they are both 5 on 4.5.... my HP 44 is stock width as well

I like my 8.8

Is the one you have a disc brake 8.8? Thats worth the swap IMO.

what the 44 out of? sell both of them and get a 60! so sell the 8.8 and sell the 8.25 when you have the 60 ready to go.

Just saying cause your already running 36, most people swap in an 8.8 for there D35 when there looking to jump from 33's to 35's.

How are your running 5x4.5 on a hp 44, is it a JK axle?

Easily ditch the 8.25. It is decent but I did my 8.8 swap as soon as I began thinking of putting money in the 8.25. I didn't want to sink any money into when the 8.8 swap gives disc brakes and is so easy to do.

Is that the South American one or what? I've never heard of any other stock front 44.

holly shit the famed XJ front 44, got a story to go with it? :read:

OHHHHHH. haha well then, I still dont believe that there was ever a front D44 in an XJ.

Back