• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Dies when brake is released?

2nd Day

NAXJA Forum User
I searched the day away to no avail....

1994 Jeep Cherokee stock with 3" lift. Its run fine for a year but now it cranks good, I put it in gear, let off the brake and then dies...will continue to turn over, but not start.

Its getting spark, ignition system is good, plenty of fuel....it only dies when I let off the brake...?

It does appear as though the PO has sent two red wires into the fuse box, one has come out, although I dont know from where.....

Any ideas how to fix this issue, the correct way?

Im super apprentice, especially when it comes to ANYTHING electrical...

Any help appreciated!

So it will or will not restart?

Parking or service brakes?

What trans?

first you need to find where those two wires are going. I pull pull the wires out of the fuse box and see what changes.

Almost sounds like a remote start feature so that someone can't jump in your car and drive away. I agree with JCBoy--try remove a wire and see what happens.

yeah the big hose is a vacuum line. although that would explain why it would die (sudden loss of air), it doesn't explain why it would prevent starting again. you can try unplugging the hose from the intake manifold and plugging the nipple to see if it helps any

personally I would suspect something related to the brake switch, try using the handbrake instead of the foot brake

Odd, odd, odd.

The not restarting for 20 minutes or so would seem to indicate electrical, almost like a thermal CPS/CKP issue, while the stalling when the brake is released would seem to indicate something with vacuum/intake leak.

Try pulling the booster line from the intake manifold, plugging the port, and see if releasing the brake still causes the stall.

Back