• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Advice for my new xj.....

moparjim1987

NAXJA Forum User
Yesterday, i traded our zj for another xj, it's 95, 4 cyl., 5 spd., 2 door, 4wd. Naturally, i'm thinking of modding it some, but not enough to effect milage. My, plan is a little bigger tire, possibly 235/75/15 or 30x9.50, v8 coils/full length aal in rear, and skids/tow hooks. It has an 8.25 rear which threw me off, and the obvious dana 30, and i'm pretty sure of 4.10 gears. If have any of you guys done anything like this before, please kinda tell what you have done and what does/doesn't work, and before i forget, it needs a new muffler, what would a tractor muffler sound like? tractor supply sells a muffler that is about 4-5" diameter, and about 24-30" long, i figured it would be kinda quiet. thanks for the advice.

Have you ever heard a quiet tractor? (didn't think so) It's a 4cy. It doesn't need a huge exhaust to make power(it can't) Just buy a cheap muffler from the local auto-zone/Oriley's/Carquest/etc. Since you're in salt country, clean the muffler out of the box with with mineral spirits and give it 2 or 3 thick coats of high heat paint before you install it, use a little anti-seize on the clamps, and paint them(the clamps/clamp area) when you're done with the install. That'll give you a cheap muffler that will last until you sell the jeep or get tired of the 4cy.

30x9.50s fit with no lift(street and mild wheeling) but you're probably going to notice a small power loss, and it'll probably affect mileage a little. Down-side of the 4cy.

thanks for the advice, I think I'll stay with going to the 235/75/15 then, and good point on the tractor muffler, i must have just seen a lucky tractor that was quiet.

Back